Vizio Debuts 11.6" Windows 8-Based Tablet PC At CES 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,664
Points 1,155,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:18 PM
Given that Vizio was already cutting thin the razor-sharp margins in the TV universe, it wasn't all that much of a shock when it introduced a PC lineup last year. But given that PCs are giving way to tablets in a major way, now the company has decided to go small. At CES 2013, Vizio is introducing its first Windows 8 tablet, and 11.6" unit running a pure copy of Windows (unlike the Surface RT, which runs the ARM-friendly Windows RT), and a dual-core 1GHZ AMD Z60 processor.

Other specifications include a 1080p touch panel, no bloatware at all (a pretty amazing feat, actually), a 2MP front-facing camera, 64GB of internal storage, micro-HDMI output and a micor-USB port. The company isn't coming clean with pricing or a ship date just yet, but the Windows slate market is already starting to heat up.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 980
Points 9,055
sevags replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:55 PM

Interesting... I love Vizio products they are exactly what you expect and exactly what you made for every time. We still have 2 Vizios TV's out of the 5 in the house one is 5 years old the other is 4 with neither ever having a problem.

It would really be hard to recommend this tablet to anyone over a MS Surface pro. This AMD z60 APU is only capable of 1920x1200 resolution which is fine but what if you are using video out to a higher resolution monitor and that isn't the biggest problem the z60 is only capable of 720p video whether you use the built in screen or external monitor something the SurfacePro is not limited to. We will have to wait to see be benchmarks for the z60 vs the core i5 in the SurfacePro the latter of which will probably be of higher build quality and offers removable keyboard cover options. Based on z60 pricing rumor is tablets using the SoC will run in the $699 with 64gb hdd, for only $100~ less than the coming SurfacePro I just don't see this Vizio option jumping out at any one.

I love Vizio though and would like to see them succeed in more areas.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS