Razer Intros Orbweaver Mechanical Gaming Keypad

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,212
Points 1,187,150
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 3 2013 1:02 PM
Gamers who have been around the block a time or two may remember a vaunted product by Belkin -- something called the Nostromo SpeedPad n52. Now, it looks as if peripheral maker Razer is pumping out something similar years later, called the Orbweaver. It's a highly unique product designed for hardcore gamers, offering mechanical keys not in a keyboard, but in a key-based gamepad. Those who swear by mechanical keyboards will almost certainly have to give this one a look. As you'd suspect with any Razer product, this one is highly customizable.

It lets users  bind an infinite number of controls to 20 mechanical keys and a programmable eight-way directional thumb-pad. Only 50 g of force is required to trigger each key, ensuring hat commands are executed as fast as users’ fingers can act—and faster than the enemy can react.  The thumb-pad can be used for movement or as a modifier for endless combinations. If your gaming sessions could benefit from something like this, you can find it shipping worldwide later this month for $129.99.

Product features:

Full mechanical keys with 50g actuation force
    20 fully programmable keys
    Adjustable thumb, palm and wrist rest modules for maximum comfort
    Programmable eight-way directional thumb-pad
    Razer Synapse 2.0-enabled
    Instantaneous switching between eight key maps
    Unlimited macro lengths
    Stores unlimited gaming profiles
    Backlit keypad for total control even in dark conditions

Approximate size & weight:

Width                      154 mm / 6.06 in.  
    Length                    214 mm / 7.95 in.
    Depth                      55 mm / 2.17 in.  
    Weight                   300 g / 0.661 lbs.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Another product that i'd just have to try out before i ever spent that much money on it. I knew a lot of guys that swore by the Nostromo, but it just didn't appeal to me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,018
Points 9,530
sevags replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:28 PM

Even if this thing was 1/4 of the price I would still have to try it before buying it or at least have someone demonstrate it for me and show me the advantages over a tradional setup. I have seen such devices advertised online before but I have never known anyone to own one...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I'd still take a g13 over one of these. As much as I love my mechanical keyboard, the joystick and the ergonomics are the selling point for me.

To Sevags, these gaming pads are aimed at people that like to customize their key layouts, by eliminating the wasd keys. The key layouts on these are typically different and are aimed at ergonomics and ease of access. Here, the keys are equal in size and are on a curved grid. With a Logitech G13, the key sizes actually change in size as you move around the keypad, in addition to the ergonomic curve.

The key selling point for these game pads is the joystick located at your thumb. This enables you to have more keys in a more accessible setup. So I would say that if you don't use the joystick for your wasd keys, then yes, this is worthless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

mentaldisorder:

I'd still take a g13 over one of these. As much as I love my mechanical keyboard, the joystick and the ergonomics are the selling point for me.

To Sevags, these gaming pads are aimed at people that like to customize their key layouts, by eliminating the wasd keys. The key layouts on these are typically different and are aimed at ergonomics and ease of access. Here, the keys are equal in size and are on a curved grid. With a Logitech G13, the key sizes actually change in size as you move around the keypad, in addition to the ergonomic curve.

The key selling point for these game pads is the joystick located at your thumb. This enables you to have more keys in a more accessible setup. So I would say that if you don't use the joystick for your wasd keys, then yes, this is worthless.

So essentially RTS players would love these, or anyone else that uses a crap ton of macros.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Is everyone overlooking the analogue stick? Mouse is best for aiming, but analogue is best for moving and that is why I want this, plain and simple. For my shooters and nothing more.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Was just thinking "would be nice if my G13 had mechanical keys". Not something I expect Logitech to do. Think I still prefer the G13 over this - mostly for the thumb joystick, which is the main reason I bought it over the Belkin. Will check this out anyway, see how it feels.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS