Harsh Reality: Investors Overpaid for Apple Stock

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,868
Points 1,172,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:24 AM
We hate to break it to investors who dumped barrels of cash into Apple over the last several months, but the bitter truth is it was a bad investment. Maybe in the long term they'll all look like savvy investors and the past three months will become a distant memory. Or maybe Apple was never worth as much as its share price suggested.

To put things into perspective, Business Insider crunched some numbers and found that more money has been lost in Apple over the last three months than in Hewlett-Packard (HP) and Research In Motion (RIM) combined. How so? Follow BI's lead on this one.

Apple Store

At its peak in 2000, HP's stock hit a high of $65 per share, which valued the company at around $130 billion. Today HP trades for $14 per share, giving it a market capitalization of $30 billion. Going from then until now, investors have lost $100 billion in HP.

RIM, on the other hand, peaked at a little more than $140 per share in 2008, which valued the company at $70 billion. Today RIM trades for just $11 per share, giving it a market capitalization of $6 billion. That's a loss of $65 billion. Add HP's losses and the tally comes to $165 billion down the drain.

As for Apple, the Cupertino outfit hit a high of $705.07 per share three months ago, valuing d the company at $660 billion. It's since fallen to $510 per share, dropping its market capitalization to $485 billion. That's a loss of $175 billion, or $10 billion more than HP and RIM combined.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 1:56 PM

Down with the troll king!!!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

It appears that the Apple Tax also applies to Apple stock!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:40 PM

No company that sells 'toys' is worth their current shareprice/market cap.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:58 PM

They say that it's ~never~ wise to invest any amount of money that you can't afford to lose,.........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:37 PM

I said it three years ago so I am not surprised at all and this time they do not have Steve Jobs to rescue them.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

This is a ridicules comparison to a company in Apple that is the most admired company in the world with one of the most dominant brand names in the world and still very successful and innovating companies of our time with a tremendous product line with mammoth cash flow and $100+ Billion in cash with no debt that pays out a dividend of $2.65 per share .

HP and Rim failed because of the lack of continued innovation and quality and were never near as successful as Apple.

The same was said about Apple and its stock decline back in 2008.

if anything, the stock price of Apple is grossly undervalued compared to its future earnings, its recent decline is mostly related to other market factors that has little to do with the company besides the loss of Jobs and some year end profit taking from its rise in price over the years.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 12:32 PM

The issue with owning stock on any device OEM and or that manufacturers products that depends solely in part or in whole on the "Coolness" of it's devices for it's basic "Value" in the market is unwisely judged as valuable for one reason, and that is because anything that is currently judged "Cool" by the general public/users today can also be judged "Uncool" by the same individuals tomorrow! That becomes specifically so when those specific products were managed, marketed, and conceived of mainly from a single individual who now no longer exists within said manufacturer especially when said individual is a visionary product manager and developer like Steve Jobs was.

He may have been anything you wish to see him as but his written instructions for a relative 3-5 or even 10 year period does not work as he developed on a current market and individual feeling that in general was always spot on at least to a large enough segment of end users that his specific products were successful to a point. The end result of not having said individual within said company and therefore development of it's products has already been demonstrated fully and the company was a breath from bankruptcy before said individual came back and saved them solely monetarily and developmentally on his own saved them in whole.

SO as far as it goes you tell yourself whatever makes you feel good but I will go with live demonstration and the results seen from them by my eyes as well as by the eyes of the world. Apple without Steve Jobs is a Lion with no soul and you may be able to replace a heart mechanically but you will never replace a soul in said manner (I know this is looking at a company as if it were a single being but that's the easiest recognizable analogy to understand here) !

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

Apple is a company made up of many talented people. Comparing their company to a rudderless ship in a storm is a slap in the face to the many innovative and intelligent people who ~still~ work there. Tying all of their successes to him alone, is a mistake. He had a deep well of talent to draw from. He used everyone that could further his ideas.

The internet is full of people predicting the end of Apple, but I will not believe it until it's already a done deal. (hardly likely) They are ~still~ a very big fish in the pond.

Remember that in the past, Apple fired Mr. Jobs because of his ideas and management style. Hiring him back was the smartest move they could have made, and they did. They most likely have a few good moves left in their bag of tricks,...........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 1:55 PM

Thank you for enhancing my point as soon as Mr Jobs was gone they started dropping just like now and in the end the only thing that saved them no matter how many talented people they had both monetarily and in every other aspect was the fact that Mr. Jobs came back re-enhancing them in all those aspects but primarily in his product outlook and vision as well as on the monetary basis they needed to stay afloat. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

rapid1:
Thank you for enhancing my point

Thank you for ignoring my points.

Again:............................They're still the big fish in the pond, and they ~will~ survive too.

Jobs isn't required for their survival.

Their stock will go up and down as is normal for stock to do, but you're delusional if you think that Apple is done because Jobs is dead.

Time will only prove me right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:38 AM

Or wrong!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:46 AM

rapid1:
Or wrong!

Yeah, it ~could~ go either way, but I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:25 AM

You hear things like that a lot (*** Morris: I'm 90% sure that Mitt Romney will win)!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

rapid1:
You hear things like that a lot (*** Morris: I'm 90% sure that Mitt Romney will win)!

Yes, you hear all sorts of stupid crap day to day. (the fortunes of the world's largest and cash-rich (no debt,...nada) company are tied to a dead guy)

I knew that Mitt was a FAIL long before the election. He couldn't connect with the people, and he couldn't connect with the republican elite.

He also scared the crap out of those of us that are tired of going to war for no reason. (saber rattling at Iran)

The pretty rich boy never stood a chance.

We'll have to just wait it out and see who is right.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:54 PM

Well I don't know much about stocks, but to buy in at 700+ for a dividend of 2.65 doesn't sound like a good deal to me, especially when said stock is now trading at 500 and change. Which makes it impossible to see a profit for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and I don't think ANY company is worth $700/share.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

CDeeter:
I don't think ANY company is worth $700/share.

Agreed,...their 700 per share was the result of frenzy buying by people with more money than sense. It happened to a lessor degree with Amazon stock too. (years ago)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:53 PM

Yup, I remember the .com crash of the '90s.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

CDeeter:
Yup, I remember the .com crash of the '90s.

A few people I know will never forget it. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS