Apple Hardening iOS 6 Code, Jailbreaking in Jeopardy

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,260
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:27 AM
Apple has always gone out of its way to keep users from tinkering with their iOS devices, from using funky screws and lots of adhesive to prevent do-it-yourself (DIY) repair, to locking down iOS so that it's extremely difficult to jailbreak. Speaking towards the latter, hacker i0n1c posted on Twitter that the upcoming iOS 6.1 update will be even tougher for modders to crack, which is especially disappointing when you consider that iOS 6 hasn't even been jailbroken yet.

"There must have been some change of guard at Apple. iOS 6.1 adds again tough protections although public JB community hasn't broken iOS 6 yet," i0n1c posted to Twitter.

This is par for course when it comes to iOS devices, and Apple's attitude towards jailbreaking in general. Just a few years ago, Apple actually sought to make jailbreaking its devices a crime, claiming that doing so would amount to copyright infringement and a DMCA violation. Apple lost that battle, but the war with modders rages on.

For the uninitiated, jailbreaking a device allows you to install unofficial software and tweak settings that may have previously been off limits. With a jailbroken iPhone, you could, for example, install a tethering app and set up your handset as a mobile hotspot for your laptop or desktop in a pinch. Jailbreaking an iOS device usually involves exploiting a security hole.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:20 PM

There will always be a way around them. I had no idea iOS 6 hasn't been jailbroken yet though. I personally don't want to run the risk of bricking my devices, so I've always just stuck with what Apple gives me. I did jailbreak an old phone I had a while back, but didn't really see the benefits of using a jailbroken phone except to download pirated apps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:20 PM

There will always be a way around them. I had no idea iOS 6 hasn't been jailbroken yet though. I personally don't want to run the risk of bricking my devices, so I've always just stuck with what Apple gives me. I did jailbreak an old phone I had a while back, but didn't really see the benefits of using a jailbroken phone except to download pirated apps.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 1:04 PM

If Steve Jobs had wanted you to control your own phone, he'd have sold you an Android. Fall into line, sheeple! Your dead god must be obeyed!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:10 PM

@ RTiejens,

Someone had to say it

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Nicko replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 8:20 PM

@ RTiejens

Quite the picture you paint. Ha! There's a valid point in your comment but it hasn't stopped the community continuing to exist, and whilst jailbreaking is a bastardised way to get more freedom it has created a consumer voice that's influenced implementations of JB ideas. I think Apple is aware to that. But JB or not, at the end of the day, out of the box iOS as integrated with the entire Apple ecosystem is a great solution for many (me included). I can see the value in Android but my buying decision is about simplicity and perhaps restriction dictates simplicity. Or maybe its what happens when creatives rather than pure engineers get their say. It really does divide people to the extent of influencing comments that gesture religiousness. Says a lot.

After having JB'n my iPhone it hasn't changed my world greatly, just given me more to tinker with- that's not so much the Apple philosophy though. Un-jailbroken, I actually find that i use my devices less which translates to greater productivity. It's healthier to unhook.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS