Shortcuts

Yet Another Thinner, Lighter Apple iPad On The Horizon?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,876
Points 1,172,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:43 AM
As Android tablets continue to fall in price, the iPad's market share dominance could be truly challenged in the coming year. Don't expect Apple to go down without a fight. A Japanese blog site is claiming that a thinner, lighter version of the 9.7 iPad will make its debut in March 2013.

The timing seems curious when you consider that Apple just recently launched its 4th generation iPad, but that model was a minor refresh. Apple's 5th generation iPad is supposed to take a cue from the iPad mini in terms of its physical design, measuring 4mm, 17mm, and 2mm smaller in height, width, and depth than the current model, and will presumably sport some whiz-bang features to tempt current owners to upgrade.

iPad mini Side

That's not all. The blog also claims Apple is already working on a next generation iPad mini. As many have already surmised, the next iPad mini is likely to boast a Retina Display with a 2048x1536 resolution (326 ppi) and an A6X processor.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 3:15 PM

*yawn* these iPad rumors and launches are incredibly boring. Other than the original iPad release the only exciting news about them since has been the addiction of the "retina" display. Almost every iPad owner I know still has an ipad2 with no reason to upgrade to the 3 or 4 unless you want the nicer screen. Most people seem to already have an iPad if they wanted one and there is no reason to upgrade every year even for addictions like NFC. Unless you get an LTE service plan with your tablet so you get a subsidized price on the hardware there is no reason to spend $500+ every year on a tablet.

Regardless I don't see a version of the iPad running full OSX anytime soon, ill be buying the Surface Pro asap.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
loddo replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 7:51 PM

*yawn* these statements about Apple not renewing themselfs are incredibly boring. Seriously :) it's starting to be like "but can it run run crysis?", or "I'll stay with XP because Vista sux..". Imho, these statements are kinda silly. Apple has to reinvent the wheel everytime they release something to keep you exited - and it's their own fault, because of their former ways of announcing new products. But what do you really expect? A circular iPad, which can only be operated by girafs from Yemen? I'm sure that would make you yawn less ;) but thats not what we want. We want smaller, better, faster stuff, and Apple is delivering :) Imagine if Apple didn't produce a new iPad every year, would we have to listen to your "omg, themz applez don't create nothin' at all yall.." silly :)

Well, I guess my _real_ point is: Will you be buying a Surface Pro, because the rumors and lauches are way more exiting?

Obviously english it not my native language, but I hope it still makes sense :)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 100

"Regardless I don't see a version of the iPad running full OSX anytime soon, ill be buying the Surface Pro asap."

There Microsoft, you sold one.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:36 PM

The iPad I have is fine with me. (2nd. Gen) If they micro-size them it doesn't matter to me at all.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
loddo replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:50 PM

Okay, so you have an ipad, which is good enough for you :) that does not mean that Apple should stop designing new ipads, and pushing the limit. Don't tell me that _all_ other tablets bring new and exiting news, but Apples updates are just boring :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:15 PM

You might as well make a rumor that says device X will be faster, lighter, higher resolution, and have a longer battery life.  It's all going to happen...eventually.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 9:04 PM

loddo:
Okay, so you have an ipad, which is good enough for you :) that does not mean that Apple should stop designing new ipads, and pushing the limit. Don't tell me that _all_ other tablets bring new and exiting news, but Apples updates are just boring :)

I agree with them making newer, better products. I just don't want one for myself at this point. Smile

They can push the limit all that they want to. They probably will. In fact, most of the companies making these things will innovate. That's a good thing.

As for who is making the ~best~ product, that's a personal choice people make when they buy from one company or another. That said, there is a good reason that Apple sells so many products.

My iPad was a gift, but it's a damn nice gadget. it's made well and it works exactly as it's supposed to. Not having used any other tablets, I can't speak for them one way or another. I do read the reviews here on HotHardware and I trust their opinions.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 2:06 PM

Loddo, I do believe you completely took my post incorrectly. My complaint was t about apple renewing themselves, please don't jump to conclusions, thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS