Archos Unveils Titanium HD Tablet with IPS Display

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2012 12:43 PM
If looks could kill, the new 9.7-inch Titanium HD tablet from Archos would be lethal, at least based on the handful of pics we've seen. Even more impressive is the tablet's spec sheet, not the least of which includes a brilliant IPS panel with a 2048x1536 resolution, the same as Apple's 3rd and 4th generation iPad devices.

Unlike the iPad, the Titanium HD is all about Android. It comes out of the box wielding Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, giving users full access to Google Play and the Google Now voice assistant software, which is arguable better than Siri.

Archos Titanium HD

On the hardware side, the Titanium HD sports a 1.6GHz dual-core A9 processor with a quad-core GPU (Mali 400 MP4), 1GB of RAM, 8GB of built-in storage flanked by a microSD card slot, two built-in speakers, 2MP front-facing camera, 5MP rear-facing camera, micro-USB 2.0 port, built-in Wi-Fi, and various other odds and ends packed into a chassis that measures 240 mm x 184 mm x 9 mm and weighs 640 grams.

Archos didn't say how much the Titanium HD will cost or when it will be available for purchase.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

It's a nice tablet with a great screen but there's two things that bothered me about this tablet (1) What gives with only 1GB of ram, why not 2GB, like the Galaxy Note 2 that I have? Would run a hell of a lot faster (2) Only dual core processor and not a quad core. If the Nexus 7 can use this processor at $200-$250 and is only 7 inches tall, then again there's no reason why a larger tablet can't use these processors either. I thought that we weren't supposed to stop on our tracks, but to move forward with tech (shakes head in disbelief)..

Sure! You can ta***e my tech toys when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 2:10 PM

I've always liked Archos 8 years ago they had th best media/video players that were always out of my price range. Th haven't enjoyed the same popularity over the last few years but this looks like an attractive tablet. Of course now it will be the cost that determines if it's worth it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 4:26 PM

I've always felt the big issue with Archos' products is that once they start getting the next generation ready they stop supporting the previous versions. Yes its good hardware and its cool that they have Google Play support now (many of their early products didn't have it), but what are you going to do in 6 months when they release the final software update for the product?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:53 PM

Not to mention their support is a joke, sounds like a day care center. Worse if you try to return a DOA product the restocking fee makes more worth your time to re-sell on ebay.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:24 PM

digitaldd, I would imagine the same thing most owners of many android products do, deal with it? There is no guarantee of a software upgrade for any android device especially if it wasn't made by one of the only several top manufacturers. Unless you have a Nexus device you are never guaranteed to upgrade to new software least of all in a timely fashion. The fact that it ships with 4.1 is great at lest you know you are getting the current version instead of shipping with 4.0 and not knowing when you would get 4.1 if ever.

Shadizzle, you could always purchase it through a larger party like amazon or best buy (if offered) where you wouldn't have a problem with a DOA return, and extended warranties are always available. As for support that really depends on the person, I personally don't ever have a need to contact the manufatuers support of any product even if a samsung device died I go through who I bought it from it is always easier and preferable to dealing directly with a manufacturer.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:09 PM

sevags:

digitaldd, I would imagine the same thing most owners of many android products do, deal with it? There is no guarantee of a software upgrade for any android device especially if it wasn't made by one of the only several top manufacturers. Unless you have a Nexus device you are never guaranteed to upgrade to new software least of all in a timely fashion. The fact that it ships with 4.1 is great at lest you know you are getting the current version instead of shipping with 4.0 and not knowing when you would get 4.1 if ever.

Nexus product support is generally one year, shortly after that no more updates for you, found that out with my Nexus One. one would hope for 2 years at least that is what the wireless carriers try to lock you in for when you get a new phone on contract for a discount.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS