I need a good gaming headset!

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar Posted: Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:29 PM

Anyone have a more modern headset that they enjoy, or know of a good one out there?  I'm looking at the corsair vengeance 2000 right now because its 7.1 surround sound, wireless, and all the reviews have been excellent.  I got $100 budget here, and newegg has it at $99 or $89 after MIR (list is $149.99).  Figured I'd drop by microcenter though and have them price match since newegg is out of stock.  But wanted to check to see if anyone has any other high opinions on some other headsets before I do it.

Im currently using a pair creative fatal1ty headset I bought myself 3 Christmases ago.  They're alright, I just want something a little nicer that I can keep around for a few years.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 12:37 AM

The Psyko  Krypton 5.1, this one is a little bit over budget at $125 retail but maybe you can find it at a better price but it's supposed to be the first headset with "true" 5.1 Audio and it includes it's own amplifier with the headset which is nice and it had a lot of publicity and good reviews when it first came out.

http://www.psykoaudio.com/GetPsyko/PsykoKrypton#axzz2FTNHm0jY

Another option is Razer which I just like stylistically and quality wise as a brand. My younger brother owned a pair of their wireless 5.1 series and they were nice before he lost them...

But anyways The Razer Carcharias is a newer headset from them designed specifically to be able to be used with consoles like the Xbox 360 and PC for $69.99 retail.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-carcharias-for-xbox-pc

Another product of theirs that's gotten positive feedback is the Kraken Pro. However it's  a BRIGHT lime green and I think it looks cool but not everyone would agree and that one comes in at $79.99 retail.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-kraken-pro

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 4:02 PM

Man, i'm getting a headache after reading all the reviews out there. 

I keep running into Astro A40 or the A50 as the front runner today.  Oddly enough I've never heard of Astro Gaming until today.  Apparently they're the official headset of MLG.  While they sound awesome, the price tag is steep!  The A50 is $300, and the A40 is $250.  So no.

However, I keep running back into the Corsair Vengeance 2000.  Well to be correct, I keep running into reviews of the 1500.  From what I can tell the 1500 is simply the corded little brother to the 2000.  Not necessarily bad, but I supposed  I need to figure out if wireless is really something I need, as the headphone cord hasn't bothered me in quite some time.

I checked out the Razer headphones, and for what I can get from them either it's not good enough, or it's too expensive, can't really find a middle ground there.

The logitech G930 is starting to look like my prime choice now after a few g930 owners switched to the vengeance and claim it's the better sounding set, that also comes with some programmable buttons.  Neat enough I suppose.

Now i'm just trying to find out if I can get the same quality, same price, but with a headset that will work on my xbox as well.  I'd like to throw those crappy xbox headphones out the window finally.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Not sure if you're still looking, but Sennheiser has been putting out good headsets for gaming.  The pc line is top notch, though they seem to be marketing to a lower price point with a few new headsets they released.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS