Far Cry 3 Benchmarked, Reviewed, and Served Well Done

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,495
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:05 PM

Far Cry 3 Benched, Reviewed, and Served Well DoneIf you've been itching for a game to showcase a new video card, or to rub in the faces of your friends, with their 2005-2006 Xbox 360s and PS3s, Far Cry 3 is that game. It eschews the space-gray corridors or military battlefields of other franchises for the lush tropical environments the Far Cry series is famous for, and the game absolutely shines. After years of cooling our heels as publishers delivered console titles for DirectX 9-era hardware, the game is a welcome breath of fresh air.

We've put together a comprehensive look at the game, from performance benchmarks to how it plays and whether or not it's worth your gaming dollar...

Far Cry 3 Benched, Reviewed, and Served Well Done

• | Post Points: 155
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:19 PM

My first true love was the first Farcry. Farcry 2 unfortunately broke my heart. Now this one comes out, and I'm too scared to even attempt throwing my rig at it, for fear it will be unplayable. For now i'll hold out until these holidays pass over and I can pick up a new GPU.

I'd like to point out that the "lines" in the textures, like farcry 1, were very beneficial in the first farcry. Where there were lines is where you could climb, so people would climb way up in the mountains and sit up there and snipe. We even had competition's late at night to see who could climb the furthest. These spots were especially beneficial during tournaments, because most of the players didn't know how to "climb", so we'd often use these spots for our advantage.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:19 PM

The first person driving really bugged me. I mean, I get that they're going for immersion, but there's a fine line between immersion and ruining fun, and for me it was the latter.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:59 PM

No this is not what I wanted to hear for an entirely selfish reason!

Without a desktop at school I've been playing games on my Roommates Xbox 360 since mine is back home with my younger brother and I just purchased FarCry3 for the 360... -_____-

My justification behind it was a youtube video that showed not much of a difference between the two... My gut instinct told me to know better, but for some reason I believed youtube and was enticed by the fact it was a way for me to explore the FarCry series since I've never played any of the previous games.

In case anyone else is interested in the comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8paB0KOHQ

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 5,605
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:07 PM

Ouch, some aspects of the game are off-putting, like the crafting and poor humor, but open-world games are irresistible to me. If I can just get unaddicted from other games I'm playing at the moment, I'll get into this one, despite its issues.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:53 PM

RWilliams:

Ouch, some aspects of the game are off-putting, like the crafting and poor humor, but open-world games are irresistible to me. If I can just get unaddicted from other games I'm playing at the moment, I'll get into this one, despite its issues.

I tried explaining this to my wife the other day, but she's not a gamer so she gave me the deer in the headlights look and a nod.

Ubisoft makes awesome games... in a sense.  Their games are gorgeous, and always are filled to the brim with potential.  Somehow though, they always seem to fall short somewhere, or all over the place.  Take Farcry 2 for instance, after you get used to the controls and such, it was a really fun game. 2 Hours later, and doing the same type of mission 20 times, you were bored.  But, if i were to show someone what computers can do versus a console, I'd pull up farcry 1,2, or 3 in a heartbeat.  It does seem that farcry 3 is better than the previous two, probably has something to do with crytek taking a break on this one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:28 PM

LOL! "Deer In The Headlights Look"

My wife doesn't game either, but she sometimes banishes me to the PC room to game and stop bugging her about something.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

The best game of 2012, amazing!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 12:25 AM

Ive been playing this game for a few days now and I agree with Joel on the whole crafting issue. I hunted every bloody animal to find out that the last item in each set could only be crafted after completing a specific hunter quest. Thats annoying by itself but then you have to use a specific weapon to complete the quest. Who the hell wants to use bow and arrows to hunt leopards, i would rather use my sniper rifle and do it from a safe distance.

Ive also been doing a lot of side missions and they are fun for a bit, random poker games and knife tosses and shooting crows with a shotgun is just entertainment. thats basically what i want in a sandbox game and farcry 3 does deliver in spades so far.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 12:27 AM

Oh and Vaas is an awesome character, just the right mix of psychotic and humorous.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390

I like the part where they take all of your stuff but you still have that high dollar camera. I have played all three now and nothing has been able to beat the first Far Cry. The big cats and bears are tough to kill when you can't take one down with 30 rounds from a AK47. For the most part I love the game but it aint what I hoped it would be................

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50
rychu79 replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:28 PM

I still need to pick this up. I need something new to play.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS