Google Trends Forecasts Xbox 720 Will Dwarf PlayStation 4

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,882
Points 1,173,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:29 AM
Is there anything Google can't do these days? Apparently the sultan of search can even predict which next generation game console is likely to be the top dog. The mystifying answer to which is going to be more popular, Microsoft's Xbox 720 or Sony's PlayStation 4 (or whatever each console will ultimately be called) can be found by glancing at past search trends.

You can do that on Google Trends, a Google service that allows you to explore trends in search and even compare different search queries based on a number criteria. Since Microsoft and Sony have both kept relatively quiet about their next generation console plans, Google Trends allows us to at least see which one consumers appear more interested at the moment, and the clear favorite is the Xbox 720.

Xbox Controller

During the past year, searches for information on Microsoft's next generation Xbox console were much higher than they were for "PlayStation 4" or "PS4." On a global basis, gamers looked up Xbox 720 on Google 60 percent of the time versus 40 percent for the PS4. The discrepancy is even wider in the U.S., where the split was 66 percent / 34 percent in the Xbox's favor.

We'd caution not to read too much into these trends, especially since the PS4 proved a more popular search term (on average) when you lengthen the search history to 2 years or more. But for now, anyway, the Xbox 720 is what's on most gamers' minds (at least until you throw the Wii U into the mix).
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:12 AM

I think the search history is more related to the leaks. 2 Years ago there was a leaked picture of the possible PS4 console, I remember searching for that picture myself. Then this year we've seen all sorts of patents, leaked documents, and that guy who supposedly had the Xbox 720 dev console.

Obviously the winner here will be who delivers the better product, or the better games. Honestly, I still think Xbox is going to win.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:38 PM

I agree with you completely Dorkstar. These statistics offer a little bit of insight, but not much considering the information surrounding Sony and Microsoft's respective next gen "PS4" and "Xbox 720" have differing amounts of information "leaked" regarding their concepts, developments etc. People are going to search more about what they're immediately hearing about.

While the fact that the Xbox 360 has been more successful for this generation of consoles and will have a fan base and user loyalty greater than Sony will have to build off of, that's not to say that each side doesn't stand a fair chance in the proving grounds for the next generation of consoles..

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
davitpr1 replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:53 PM

Again, IN THE US. Of course the Xbox is going to be more popular in the US where everyone feels Patriotic and wants to support their company even if they make crappy hardware and have to buy an Xbox three times. But seriously, can you US people stop getting all excited over US only statistics? No, the Xbox didn't win this generation and no, the next Xbox won't be more popular (maybe at the beginning depending on what Sony does). But yes, in the US, the Xbox is selling more for now. If you do a search for Xbox 360 and PS3 you'll see the trend: more people search for PS3 now than Xbox 360, even in the US. I wonder what does that mean? http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=ps3%2C%20xbox%20360&cmpt=q

Another thing: Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are at around 70 million units globally each, so, if more people are searching for the Xbox 720 could that mean that they're tired of the Xbox 360 because it doesn't have blu ray, doesn't have games and microsoft is pushing more kinect crap. Xbox 360 owners already want another console while Ps3 owners are happy with the PS3, it has everything and more games like The Last of Us are coming so yeah, this can mean a lot of different things.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
davitpr1 replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:03 PM

OSunday: When you say " the Xbox 360 has been more successful for this generation of consoles " what do you mean? What do you base that on? Sales? No. Games? No. Hardware quality? Of course not. Value? No. Then what? In the US? Yes. That's all. Move on.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:25 PM

davitpr1:

Again, IN THE US. Of course the Xbox is going to be more popular in the US where everyone feels Patriotic and wants to support their company even if they make crappy hardware and have to buy an Xbox three times. But seriously, can you US people stop getting all excited over US only statistics? No, the Xbox didn't win this generation and no, the next Xbox won't be more popular (maybe at the beginning depending on what Sony does). But yes, in the US, the Xbox is selling more for now. If you do a search for Xbox 360 and PS3 you'll see the trend: more people search for PS3 now than Xbox 360, even in the US. I wonder what does that mean? http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=ps3%2C%20xbox%20360&cmpt=q

Another thing: Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are at around 70 million units globally each, so, if more people are searching for the Xbox 720 could that mean that they're tired of the Xbox 360 because it doesn't have blu ray, doesn't have games and microsoft is pushing more kinect crap. Xbox 360 owners already want another console while Ps3 owners are happy with the PS3, it has everything and more games like The Last of Us are coming so yeah, this can mean a lot of different things.

I have both system.  Why?  I don't remember.  

I prefer the Xbox over the PS3.  PS3 doesn't have any games I want to play other than Metal Gear Solid, the dashboard isn't as intuitive as Xbox.  It's much easier for my wife to use the Xbox for media.  Sure having a blu-ray player was enticing in the beginning, but in today's age it's much more simpler to have digital media stored on either a networked drive or media PC.  

Come to think of it, the only time I can remember playing my PS3 was when they screwed up and gave everyone free games.  Now that I think about it, the only reason we even bought the PS3 was because we wanted a blu-ray player.  Then we ended up getting netflix and never bothered to use the PS3.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:14 PM

The Xbox is pretty popular in the U.K. and AUS, so it's really not limited to the U.S. ...

And Xbox had it's follies in the beginning with it's initial release, but that was a decent amount of time ago.
If you analyze the current stats for the Xbox 360 Vs. PS3 it's pretty obvious that the Xbox 360 has been more succesful.

Great points in terms of searches for the present consoles though, that an interesting take on things as far as searching because their unsatisfied haha. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:49 PM

Gameinformer just released their polls on Facebook over which system people were most excited about.  PS4 got 26%, Xbox got 74%

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:30 PM

What percentage of gamers use or respond to content on Game informer though?

Not sure what percentage of all gamers this would actually represent. I know I for one am equally as excited to see what's in store from Sony or Microsoft.

I feel like that would have res ponders specific to fans and customers from Gamestop because of how integrated the two are

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:26 PM

Yeah, im the same way.  I make a decision once all consoles are out and show us what they can deliver.  I imagine those who are already decided are probably fans of some console exclusive games.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:25 PM

It's just a little bit Sad the WiiU is still playing below the bar set by Sony and Microsoft, and after hearing about it's initial release and problems, combined with hardware barely on par with the Xbox 360 and PS3 mean's its probably not going to be much of a competitor with the other two in my point

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 1:28 AM

Davitpr1, I agree with the others here that overall the 360 has been a greater success than the ps3. The 360 has also changed the landscape of console gaming more than the ps4 with more successful online media capabilities and a much more successful hands free gaming platform in the way of the Kinect while playstations version hasn't quite taken off.

Aside from the red ring of death fiasco the 360 has enjoyed a lot of success. The ps3 has also been mared by failures and bad press.

360 > PS4

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 6:00 PM

I'm basing it primarily off the fact that Xbox 360 games have outsold PS3 games for 21 months in a row and are still running.
It's also been the top selling piece of gaming hardware for 15 months in a row, still running.
It shows that more people are using their Xbox 360's for games and buying them over it's competitors like the PS3

In February it also topped the PS3 and the Wii for Global Sales. Global, not just the United States.

I don't have anything against the PS3, I think it's a great console and had the potential to demolish the Xbox 360, but the fact is it didn't. The Xbox 360 has been more successful.

If you're looking for some sources you can take a look here: 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57547692-75/xbox-360-shines-bright-in-otherwise-dismal-game-market/ 

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/372780/us-xbox-360-sales-top-ps3-wii-for-21st-straight-month/ 

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/xbox-360-tops-wii-ps3-1st-time-yearly-global-sales/ 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS