NORAD Tracks Santa App Comes To Windows 8 Devices

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:21 AM
Ask any child who celebrates Christmas and he or she will tell you that the big day is just over a week away. They keep track of these things, the way adults keep tabs on their favorite sports team, and understandably so. How cool is it to wake up to a pile of loot that a man in a red suit delivered the night before?

The logistics of Santa's travels on Christmas Eve is mind boggling, but it's also traceable thanks to the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). Every year NORAD tracks Santa's travels around the globe, and this year, you and your child can follow along in Windows 8 with NORAD's new app.

NORAD App

"If you have younger children, then you might want to know about the 'NORAD Tracks Santa' app for Windows 8. In the run up to Christmas Eve you can get ready for the tracking, and then on Christmas Eve you can see Santa's progress as he heads towards, and then away from Australia. (And use the 'As soon as Santa gets to NZ, it's bed time' trick)," Microsoft's Ray Fleming stated in a blog post.

The free app includes a countdown clock to Christmas Eve, videos, and links to games and activities on NORAD's website. It also includes information about Santa, along with how and why NORAD tracks the gift giver. It's available to download now and works with both Windows 8 and Windows RT.

As for NORAD, the organization's been doing this sort of thing for almost six decades. It dates back to 1955 when a local Sears store in Colorado printed the wrong phone number for Santa. Instead of dialing in to the store, the misprinted phone number was for NORAD's predecessor, the Continental Air Defense Command. The organization ran with it, relaying radar information about Santa's travels to children.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:18 AM

Haha, I had no idea that NORAD started all this due to Sears making a mistake.

I'm looking forward to the next year when I can share this with my daughter. Santa came by our house on the back of a firetruck last week, unfortunately it was also during the time I was putting her to sleep. My wife came running up the stairs, woke her up while she was passed out in my arms, and made us run outside to see the firetruck. Then of course she was up for another hour afterwards...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:26 PM

Haha this is awesome! And the background to the story is equally as interesting.

The only thing is the "Santa's in our country/state/city etc." trick for little kids could go the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of kids trying to use this to "catch" or "see" Santa Clause. Lol, I know when I was a lot younger I'd always try and stay up or wake up to catch Santa in the act.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:03 PM

I am sure that both of the people using Windows Phone 8 will appreciate this.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
iwade replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:55 AM

Awesome introduction for NORAD tracks Santa app!!

Every year NORAD tracks Santa's travels around the globe, and this year, you and your child can follow along in Windows 8 with NORAD's new app.Very Interesting know!!!!people are crazy about this!!!Google was associated with NORAD for the past 5 yrs and Now the turn is with Microsoft. iLink Systems a specialized windows 8 application developer, we helped NORAD to modernize the NoradSanta.org by using a new UI/UX.To know more about us please visit http://www.ilink-systems.com/Technology/Windows8.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS