Minteye Develops Alternative To Tedious CAPTCHA

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 2:53 PM

The quest for a bullet-proof but human-usable CAPTCHA continues. A couple of months ago, we talked about a CAPTCHA implementation that relies on human empathy to bypass, but for a couple of reasons, it might not be ideal for a lot of people. Now, the folks at Minteye have given us yet another option: slide-to-fit.

The idea is simple, and so is its usage. The user is presented with a nonsensical, twisted image. With a sliding bar, they can untwist the image so that it looks normal, at which point they'll be flagged as human and permitted to continue. As long as the basic premise is understood, this is a CAPTCHA implementation that shouldn't be difficult for anyone to use.

According to the developers, its slide-to-fit CAPTCHA has a success-rate of 94%, versus 76% for text-based offerings (a number that almost seems generous given how often I tend to fail them).

Minteye appears to be completely free for site owners to implement, and as the twisted images could be advertisements, potential revenue can be earned as well. It supports common Web languages like PHP, Java and ASP.NET, with plugins available for common content management systems, like WordPress, Drupal and phpBB.

As with most CAPTCHA implementations, I'm skeptical of just how useful this one will prove to be. In my mind, the empathy-based solution we talked about months ago would have the better chance of going unbeaten by PCs, as it shouldn't be too difficult in theory for a computer to tell the difference between a twisted image and a clean one. Nonetheless, it is a solution that's easy to understand, so it has that going for it.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,050
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 3:15 PM

76% that's INCREDIBLY generous! Anything that does away with traditional text based captcha or the audio option is amazing in my book!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 5:49 PM

76% is definitely generous... I think I range more around the 50% mark and that's solely from interpretation mistakes, not being lazy in reading them or typos. Captchas suck, even if they did give us Lord Inglep.

I'm happy that someone's finally come up with a good alternative to Captcha's though, this sounds like it'll be a lot easier and more effective and integrating advertisements into them makes both sides win. Potential revenue for the website and ease of access for the user.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

76% is definitely generous, amazing!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:11 PM

Dear lord I hate today's CAPCHAs, they can be so damn hard to read.  I like this idea, it seems easier then some of the other i've seen.  One I saw the other day made you move pieces of a picture together, and when the picture was completed it let you submit the form.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:01 PM

I like this idea a lot. I hope that it see's a widespread adaptation, post haste.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS