Invisibility Cloaks, “Quantum Stealth Technology” Becoming a Reality For Soldiers

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 2:10 PM
Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak was almost too fantastical a magical item (and made for a cheap and easy literary foil to allow some of the main characters in the series to move from place to place and eavesdrop) to be believable even in fantasy novels, but a company called Hyperstealth Biotech Corp claims to have a camouflage material that provides that exact capability to soldiers.

Called “Quantum Stealth”, the fabric supposedly works by bending light around itself so that observers can’t see that someone is there. Unfortunately, Hyperstealth Biotech won’t divulge any of the details of how the technology works, so it’s impossible to confirm or deny the validity of the company’s assertion.

Quantum Stealth

CEO Guy Cramer told the Daily Mail that groups within both the U.S. military and Canadian military have seen the stuff in person, saying, “These groups now know that it works and does so without cameras, batteries, lights or mirrors...It is lightweight and quite inexpensive. Both the U.S. and Canadian military have confirmed that it also works against military IR scopes and Thermal Optics.”

Quantum Stealth

Although theoretically the technology to make such a cloak exists in one form or another, we’ll admit we have our doubts. Those photos are just Photoshopped mockups, and there’s something a little off about the company seeming to build its credibility based primarily on the number of news reports on it. (Who was it that said, “A lie repeated often enough becomes truth”? Lenin?) But if indeed Quantum Stealth technology is the real thing, this is a seminal moment in defense history. If not, Hyperstealth Biotech Corp is very dedicated to a very elaborate hoax.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 5:30 PM

Skepticism level 10. If the product has been seen and works, why can't a picture of it be released? The secrecy as to how it works makes a little bit more sense because if they really have found a modern day "invisibility cloak", such a product is a literal goldmine.But credibility based solely off of the quantity of news reports doesn't help their case.

And how a reflective coat is able to reflect and shield from infrared and thermal optics, combined with near invisible camouflage is beyond maybe, one of those qualities and maybe two would be more believable in a single material but all 3 seems stretched.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:53 PM

You guys can talk bad about the company as long as you want, I'm just thrilled at the possibility of this.  Hopefully one day I can just put an invisibility cloak over the entire city of Dallas and make it feel like I live in a peaceful, quiet town.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

LOL, Amazing!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:34 PM

So...they're not going to release any info about this, and the only confirmation about it comes from...themselves?? I' be absolutely thrilled if this were true, but this just seems too shady.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:48 PM

Military will confirm or deny it before too long.

I can see it being made top secret if it really works,.....

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:01 AM

It's things like this that always worry me. How often do we want invisibility, time travel, portals, x-ray vision, etc. The issue with all of those is where there is a good use for it, there is a equally or greater risk. People would have to start carrying around thermal camera's everywhere they go to make sure there isn't someone creeping on them.

Although, I wonder if this is a real invisibility type cloak, or more like the halo type of cloaking, where you can see a distortion instead of just nothing.

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 235
WendellWoW replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:39 AM

I saw a recent video about this showing at a very low level how field will bend light. It was pretty impressive. This was done at a micro level, so if they can make it work at a larger level it could work.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:01 PM

I'll be REALLY impressed if it's authentic invisibility but I feel like it'll be something more similar to cloaking through mirroring and that's what it sounds like from the description.

The closest thing I've seen to real invisibility involved cameras and screens so it isn't exactly economically feasible, mobile or durable. 

I feel like even with the potential of this, it'll be an expensive technology used primarily by the military and government and might appear in a black market but would be ridiculously more expensive so it wouldn't be a common sight thing you'd have to worry about for use amongst most people 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS