Mechanical Keyboard Forum.

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 255
Derailed Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 2:30 AM

Mechanical Keyboard topics and discussions reviews thoughts and ratings!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 12:53 PM

I actually don't know much about Mechanical keyboards or their pro's and cons to other types of keyboards.
Wanna give me a breakdown? 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 2:04 PM

This could always go under the "Cases, Cooling, and Misc" sub-forum.  Although, a Peripheral forum may not be terrible either.  Especially if the news articles were moved into there, so you could look at a broad range of devices that may interest you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 3:06 PM

I have only one mechanical keyboard. It's a Corsair K90 and it's a pleasure to use.

Even after reading many reviews and several posts by Marco, (who knows quite a lot about them) I just didn't get it until I used one of them myself.

They're fantastic.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:49 PM

I've been eyeballing that one for a while.  It's just too expensive for me to pick it up and not get buyers remorse.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:03 PM

What's the difference and advantage of a mechanical keyboard?

I currently have a Razer Arctosa Silver Edition, it's the least expensive Razer keyboard and I don't think it's mechanical but I've never had any issues with it and it feels good and solid to type on

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:26 PM

It's all up to user preference.  Personally I prefer mechanical keyboards over the softer keys that are on most laptops today.  Mechanical keys just offer a different feel, and those are rated by color.  Something like blue, red, and... something else.  I can't remember, but anyhow the difference in resistance for me makes my hands just move more fluidly.  It's difficult to explain, it's just something you have to experience.  I just don't understand why they cost so damn much.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:42 PM

Dorkstar:

It's all up to user preference.  Personally I prefer mechanical keyboards over the softer keys that are on most laptops today.  Mechanical keys just offer a different feel, and those are rated by color.  Something like blue, red, and... something else.  I can't remember, but anyhow the difference in resistance for me makes my hands just move more fluidly.  It's difficult to explain, it's just something you have to experience.  I just don't understand why they cost so damn much.

Blue, red, black, and brown. They all have different characteristics. (More or less resistance, clicky sound or not) Most regular keyboards have soft plastic membrane switches that you activate when you press a letter. Mechanical switch keyboards have a mechanical switch under that key. They cost a lot more than the the plastic keys, but the trade-off is fluid operation and considerable durability too. Maybe Marco will weigh in on the subject, this is his passion.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:43 PM

Dorkstar:

I've been eyeballing that one for a while.  It's just too expensive for me to pick it up and not get buyers remorse.

I won mine during the summer.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:29 AM

realneil:

Dorkstar:

I won mine during the summer.

Lucky dog!  I've been trying to win a new headset, mouse, keyboard combo, but just haven't had any luck.  I just don't see myself ever spending that much on those items, so winning them makes more sense.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:57 AM

Don't all keyboards have a sort of mechanical device beneath it? Or are the ones beneath mechanical keyboards not made of plastic and more complex?

I enjoy a little bit of resistance and sound so I know when I'm pressing a key or not for things like when I'm reading and taking notes for class at the same time and gaming. I feel like if everything were too fluid and the keys non-resistant and soft I'd have no idea as to whether I was actually doing something or not with the keyboard haha 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:58 AM

At standard retail prices, I'm with you on this.
Although if you keep your eyes out you can find some great deals on peripherals that justify the price between slickdeals, newegg, tigerdirect, NCIX, microcenter and amazon.

Reddit's BuildaPCsales is also a great place to check every now and then for combo deals and components 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:13 PM

Mechanical Keyboard:

Longer lifetime, choice of resistance per type of switch.

Your normal run of the mill keyboard:

Lifetime last as long as the rubber holds up.  Resistance is equal to the resistance of the rubber, not your choice.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 1:42 PM

Typically, a membrane style keyboard will last from 1 to 5 million key-presses. A mechanical keyboard is usually warranted for 50 million key-presses,.........but they cost a lot more. I was looking around a lot before I won the one that I have now, but I had started to concentrate on the Rosewill brand because they cost less while they have your choice of all four types of Cherry-MX switches. (the good stuff)

This is great info.

This is more great info.

I think that the bottom line is that mechanical keyboards are certainly worth paying extra for,....but affording them can be hard to do for some of us.

The closest to mechanical performance that I had before I got my K90 was an Apple aluminum keyboard. ($50) It is quite easy to type on too.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:10 PM

What's the difference between the four types of Cherry-MX switches?
I've heard that type of switch multiple times before and seen "Cherry MX Switch Mech Keyboards" on special sales but never understood it at the time because it just looked like an overpriced standard keyboard haha

@Dorkstar, thanks for the pictures, that explained things perfectly 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:57 PM

OSunday:
What's the difference between the four types of Cherry-MX switches?

Read the links that I posted, they'll explain it for you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:58 PM

Oh I didn't see that the bolded text were links, I just read up on that article from 2009, pretty impressive how informative and relevant a 3 year old write up was.
As soon as this keyboard I'm using wears out or I find a person willing to buy it I think I might invest in a Cherry-MX Red or Blue keyboard.

It sounds like it's a worthy investment and the tactile +auditory feedback sounds good too... I just can't decide whether that extra click with the blue would be excessively loud or get annoying after a time or if I'll just drown it out 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

I have no mechanical keyboard yet. I only generally use ergonomic keyboards (currently the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000) and thus far, none of them have mechanical keys that I'm aware of. I would absolutely LOVE a Keyboard 4000 with mechanical keys though. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:07 AM

they are pretty awesome I have to say. I went from a Logitech K350 to a Cooler Master Storm Trigger and I am very impressed with both just having a mechanical keyboard and Cooler Masters. I had been eyeballing Corsair and Razer keyboards but ended up with the one I got and it has blue keys for cheap that I could not pass it up.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator

The only one I have is a Corsair K90 that I won in a contest. It's pretty cool. Before I won it, I had planned to buy one of the Rosewill Mech-Keyboards.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

I found this mechanical ergonomic keyboard. Only thing that seems missing from this is a windows-key (which I use often). Uses Cherry MX Brown switches. Also... the $248 price tag seems a bit steep.

EDIT: I've read some reviews about this keyboard that state that due to the fact that they stagger the keys differently than a standard keyboard, it takes a lot of time to get used to it and initially users will find it difficult and it will slow them down. I like that they're making a mechanical ergonomic keyboard... not too happy that they decided they needed to try and make it so different.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:40 PM

Looks interesting but id have to have my numpad on the side. I got a little Logitech keyboard/touch pad and when im trying to do something my htpc/server I just get irritated since I always go for the numpad.  I agree with you also they didn't have to go crazy to make it ergonomic and mechanical.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:55 PM

There are plenty of other standard ergonomic keyboards that you can find that aren't $300, plus I don't think that keyboard is worth the learning curve of adjusting too just to save a couple inches.

Chances are most people have enough space on their desks for a standard sized and are more familiar with them anyhow 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 3:39 PM

I recently switched from a Saitek Eclipse II to a Corsair K60 mechanical keyboard. The Corsair sure is noisy Sad

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:50 PM

Do you know what type of keys you got?
Certain key types are designed to give a tactile and audible feedback so you know you're pressing the buttons. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:16 AM

slugbug:

I recently switched from a Saitek Eclipse II to a Corsair K60 mechanical keyboard. The Corsair sure is noisy Sad

If I remember right you should have red keys unless they come in something different. I saw a giveaway recently for a K60 and it said cherry mx keys. Even if those are the quiet ones they can loud compared to other keyboards. I have blue keys and while I guess you call them loud but I love the "chatter" they give when I am typing. Reminds me back to the old keyboards I had as a kid growing up. Anyways if they are to loud you can put o-rings in them to "soften" the key so it does not make as much noise but like I said I personally love the sound and Ive tried out blacks and blue and liking the blue alot.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:41 PM

The keys on my K90 Corsair are loud too, but I'm OK with that. If I want ~quiet~ typing, I use the PC next to my gamer that has a (get this) Apple Aluminum keyboard. Surprise

It really works well, is quiet, and easy to type on.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 130
phenom2 replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 4:21 PM

what about typing? I'm a fast typist...and a gamer. What are the performance benefits coming from a mechanical keyboard? I have an old Logitech EX110...I'm still gaming and doing all with this one...but can't really understand all this people getting crazy for those enw keyboards....:P...i hope i could try one of them soon!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 6:47 PM

A mechanical keyboard has a lot of benefits for fast typists. (I'm not)

They take a while to get used to, but they work ~much~ better. My typing speed has improved while using my K90. Mech Keyboards are usually heavier and tougher. The keys are guaranteed for a lot more use than on a membrane board.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:13 PM

I just wish I could convert my Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 to a mechanical. :) 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 10:50 PM

realneil:

A mechanical keyboard has a lot of benefits for fast typists. (I'm not)

They take a while to get used to, but they work ~much~ better. My typing speed has improved while using my K90. Mech Keyboards are usually heavier and tougher. The keys are guaranteed for a lot more use than on a membrane board.

Bingo! I saw a good 10-12 wpm when I switched over to my mechanical keyboard and got used to it. It really only felt different for about 2-3 days then I got comfortable with it.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 130
phenom2 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:30 AM

wow! That's very good to hear! I'm already so fast. I will do a typing speed comparative when I'll get it, using some software to check how many keystrokes per minute I can do! :-)

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS