Google Will Not Offer Gmail and Drive Apps For Windows 8

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,775
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:21 PM
Google’s numerous and mostly excellent apps, which include Gmail and Drive, will not be getting the Windows 8 nor Windows Phone 8 treatment. Clay Bavor, product management director for Google Apps, told V3 that the company currently isn’t planning to develop its apps for the new Windows platform.

"We have no plans to build out Windows apps,” he said. “We are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8"

Google has been working on improving its apps on iOS and Android--Bavor noted in particular the ability to natively edit spreadsheets on mobile devices--and plans to keep pushing itself to create a better and better mobile experience. These improvements are especially important in the enterprise, where there’s a growing level of comfort with cloud-based services and mobile devices have rapidly proliferated in recent years.

Nokia 920
Hoping for Google Apps development on your slick new Nokia 920? Keep waiting.

It’s unclear why Google is brushing off Windows 8. It’s true that most companies will take their time migrating from previous versions of Windows (be that Vista or Windows 7), and the adoption of Windows Phone 8 compared to Android and iOS isn’t even in the same stratosphere yet, so it’s reasonable that Google doesn’t see the new Windows platform as an urgent priority.

Still, it seems unwise; the Windows platform is not going anywhere, especially in the enterprise, and even though it will take time before even a quorum of users switch to Windows Phone 8, that too will be present in the workplace. Further, Google has a spotty record with mobile versions of its apps; some are stellar (eg, Maps), while others are less impressive (eg, Spreadsheets), but in any case getting a head start on developing for a new platform seems prudent.

All of the above begs the question: Is Google operating here from a place of superiority, believing that Windows 8 is not a platform to be bothered with, or is this a sign of weakness, indicative of the search giant’s struggle to make it services work well and look good on mobile devices?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 4:46 PM

This is a sign that Gmail and Drive already work on Windows 8 on computers, and that Windows 8 Phone is already a dying platform. Probably indicative of the lack of interest in the Windows 8 RT store, too. Why invest in buying a store "kiosk" when projections are that you won't sell enough apps to make back the up-front cost?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:44 PM

I can understand why they would be hesitant with Windows mobile apps because there's no guarantee that it's going to succeed, but bucking against Windows as an operating system entirely seems unwise.

Although they're not losing much at the moment since not many computers run W8 compared to W7 in the long haul sticking to not supporting Windows 8 is going to cost them

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

Just give them some time, they will come home

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 4,990
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 2:39 PM

You have to choose if you want the windows phone you have to live without google. However it is also a very bad move by them because ppl that want windows phone will then move to other apps. With bing and outlook mail being competitive I would think this is a bad move by them.

No windows phone is not dying its sales are up 300%. Android market share is at 60%ish so they dont have anything to worry about. They are try to make their own ecosystem. Dont be shocked when you see google desktop os coming soon.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 3:04 PM

Yep, windows phones are becoming increasingly popular.  I just feel windows phones always have that stigma that comes with any windows release.  You have to learn yet another OS, which in my opinion is more intuitive and diverse than iOS.  I just don't see Microsoft really ever taking a big enough market share here to bring in developers like google.  Plus it's not like google wont be making money off windows phones anyhow, people will still use their browsers to access what they can.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 3:37 PM

I don't think google would try to make a desktop OS since there's no category in desktop capabilities left unsatisfied by Linux, OSX or Windows so there's really no room for Google to make a move there and they're clearly being conservative with where they make their investments.

Windows Phones are still young compared to the maturity of Android and iOS so it'll need a little more time to developeto really analyze even if at the moment it's future isn't as ideal as it could be as far as it's marketplace and application support. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 7:11 PM

Umm... Google already has a desktop OS.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:37 PM

By desktop do you mean Chrome/Chromium OS?
I know that it's usable on desktops or almost any standard computer hardware config but I don't really consider it a Desktop OS because it was designed for laptops  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS