Is Samsung’s Galaxy Note III Going To Be Even Larger with a 6.3-Inch Display?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,800
Points 1,212,885
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:02 AM
Samsung has always subscribed to the philosophy that size matters, and that's never been more evident than with the company's Galaxy Note line. These devices are so big that they dance the line between a smartphone and a tablet, creating a new category called phablet. The question is, at what point should Samsung stop increasing the screen size?

According to a report in the Korean Times, Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Note III device will feature a ginormous 6.3-inch OLED display. That's almost as big as a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD, so if you want to get a sense what it would feel like to field a call on the Galaxy Note III, pick up a 7-inch tablet and press it against the side of your head.

I can't help but be reminded of the old Trigger Happy skits with the giant cell phone...

At 6.3 inches, the Galaxy Note III would sport a display that's almost a full inch larger than its predecessor (the Galaxy Note II boasts a 5.5-inch display). The logistics of using it to make phone calls aside, it will be interesting to see how Samsung handles battery life, especially with a 4G LTE radio baked in.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:31 AM

Huh?  Is this some kind of a joke?

I understand what they're doing here.  Buy a phone and a tablet all at once.  It makes sense, until you realize it's a 6.3 inch PHONE.  This would make the 80's cell phones look small.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:15 PM

That's just no...

5.5 inches is already ridiculously large and unable to be held comfortably in one hand but bumping it up almost an entire inch will mean you NEED two hands to hold it or some sort of weird bracketed case to use it in one hand

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 4:49 PM

"Samsung has always prescribed to the philosophy..."

I believe that's "subscribed."

If I had a 4G module in my 7-inch tablet, I could happily use it as a phone now - with a bluetooth handsfree set. If Samsung is savvy enough to bundle one with a 6.3-inch phablet, it could get some traction in the marketplace.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,125
KOwen replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 4:52 PM

I don't understand why everyone is bitching and moaning about this lately. I love my Note 2. Sure it's not as easy to use with one hand as a smaller phone, but I don't mind using two hands, especially when that sacrifice offers such a beautiful screen. Besides, you get used to it. If you can't handle the real estate buy a phone with a screen size you do like, instead of hating on other ppls phones.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:49 PM

The Galaxy note II is large for a phone but not to the extent that it's overwhelmingly difficult to use, a 6.5 inch phone would be huge, I don't think you realize how difficult it would to use something that is even bigger than what you've already got. 

Maybe for Shaq and other giant handed folks that's reasonable but most people won't be able to or even want to use something that large 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 7:53 PM

As a note owner, and I do love it... I have to agree that a 6.3in would seem almost impossible to use one handed comfortably to say the least. RTietjens, is right. Samsung would/should bundle this with a hands free piece to really hope it gains traction. I dont even want to imagine how silly you would look holding something like THAT to your head, the note does a good enough job it already, being used to it or not.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:34 PM

Well, most of us use our phones as mini tablets anyways.  If they can find a way to make it comfortable to talk on and carry, I suppose it might be tolerable as a tablet that can sometimes be a phone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875
imAcpufan replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:51 PM

If they can reduce the bezel enough to limit an increase in the overall size, I can see this possibly working.

And like RTietjens mentioned, it would basically be like a tablet with phone capabilities. I'd probably grab a 3G Nexus 7 if I could text from it over a cell network.  Well, I guess you can already using Google voice if you're not in Canada.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,084
Points 10,040
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 3:24 PM

Anyone here who has read my posts knows I have always been aganst anythng over 3.5-4" for a phone so want to jump out and say this is ridiculous... and it is.. but it isn't.. lol. As big as the Note and Note II are, holing them is actually really familiar it feels like I am holding a small reader off of Star Trek the next generation. Hold it up to your head though and it starts to feel incredibly awkward, not to mention it won't fit into the front pockets of any pair of pants that I own which is a major deal breaker for me LOL.

That said though, why can't this be a business persons phablet? I can see people carrying it around for work or school or just to consume media but use a bluetooth earpiece or even a wired one to make and pickup calls? It would be like having a Nexus 7 with built in phone functions, you wouldn't rush to all of a sudden hold it up to your head but you might go grab that BT earpiece from the drawer you never use....

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:01 PM

Although it retains it's phone capabilities and would have a much higher appeal if it was bundled with a Blutooth headset, you lose the convenience of being able to whip out your phone for a quick text or use this while on the go because of it's difficulty in transportation and using it in one hand.

Taking it out while transiting from one place to another would most likely mean removing it from a bag/backpack and then would require both hands to use, compared to slipping your phone out of your pocket and typing a quick message with one hand.

Otherwise it's use is easiest and makes the most sense while stationary. This sort of defeats the purpose of a phone since cell phones are for mobility. While of course you can take your tablet with you to other places, something of this size would be difficult to use while in the literal act of being mobile and moving. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:20 PM

OSunday:

Although it retains it's phone capabilities and would have a much higher appeal if it was bundled with a Blutooth headset, you lose the convenience of being able to whip out your phone for a quick text or use this while on the go because of it's difficulty in transportation and using it in one hand.

Taking it out while transiting from one place to another would most likely mean removing it from a bag/backpack and then would require both hands to use, compared to slipping your phone out of your pocket and typing a quick message with one hand.

Otherwise it's use is easiest and makes the most sense while stationary. This sort of defeats the purpose of a phone since cell phones are for mobility. While of course you can take your tablet with you to other places, something of this size would be difficult to use while in the literal act of being mobile and moving. 

I just don't see how this would make it unless it was marketed just like you say.  A tablet with phone capabilities.  Surely they aren't going to run commercials with a guy holding a tablet to his head.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS