FreedomPop Launches Hub Burst Router / Modem, Teases Free Service

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,354
Points 1,191,515
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:41 PM
If there's one industry that could seriously use a disruption, it's the world of ISPs. Yes, we have options, but too few -- in some locales, none at all. FreedomPop has been trying to shake things up for some time on the mobile front, but now the company has started to accept limited pre-orders for its new home wireless broadband modem scheduled to launch next month. What makes it different than every other router? Reportedly, it'll provide "100 percent free high-speed Internet in the home or small office at speeds faster than typical DSL and on par with most cable providers." FreedomPop Hub Burst preorder users will be given two times the current FreedomPop offering with a minimum of 1 GB of free data each month. Users will also have the ability to earn unlimited data by adding contacts to their network and engaging in partner promotions. The company also offers heavier data users a variety of cost-effective plans, starting at prices under $10 per month, 80 percent cheaper than today's DSL or Cable offerings.

The FreedomPop Hub Burst modem and router boasts wireless antennas to boost speeds as well as Ethernet jacks to connect up to 10 Internet enabled devices, including desktops, TV's and streaming music and video players. FreedomPop will utilize the Clearwire WiMax network, ensuring that installation is as simple as plugging in the device with no time-consuming, complicated installations. Unlike traditional service providers, there are no contracts, no hidden fees and no installation issues.

Not bad for light users if you're willing to play the game!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:31 AM

Ugh.  Clearwire Wi-Max.  Every time I hear either one of those words, I just think inconsistency.  I'm sure you can get speeds *up to DSL or cable, but during peak hours you're probably speeds up to 56k. 

I could be completely wrong, but I think this industry needs to spend more time proving it's capabilities, assuming it has them, rather than marketing that's it's really cheap.  I have no faith in this technology. 

However, free is free, and I can't complain there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:19 PM

I feel like there's no hidden fees sort of thing but that the speed and quality of connectivity is the cache.
Stuff like this seems to good to be true and I feel like if it really were that great that it would be much more popular and I'd be hearing more about it.
Maybe it needs time to spread but at the moment this doesn't seem like a good alternative to dsl/cable internet unless you're on a serious budget. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:59 PM

OSunday:

I feel like there's no hidden fees sort of thing but that the speed and quality of connectivity is the cache.
Stuff like this seems to good to be true and I feel like if it really were that great that it would be much more popular and I'd be hearing more about it.
Maybe it needs time to spread but at the moment this doesn't seem like a good alternative to dsl/cable internet unless you're on a serious budget. 

They're making money somewhere.  I'm sure there is probably ad's, or data limitations that automatically charge you for going over x amount of data or something.  

It's like the "5 star" hotel my wife booked us for only $89 a night.  Cheap right?  Then they charged us a mandatory $20 to valet park, $4 for a soda, $18 for one drink my wife got at the bar.  Not to mention the rooms sucked, they didn't have microwaves, refrigerators, and still had CRT tv's.  I imagine freedompop is using the same scheme as that crappy hotel did.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:28 PM

I feel like that's the case with a majority of hotels... bottled water that comes in the rooms is like $5, and it's not even "fiji" water or expensive water either.
CRT TV's is a little bit low though...

I think that might be the perfect comparison to FreedomPop though lol 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:09 PM

OSunday:

I feel like that's the case with a majority of hotels... bottled water that comes in the rooms is like $5, and it's not even "fiji" water or expensive water either.
CRT TV's is a little bit low though...

I think that might be the perfect comparison to FreedomPop though lol 

Funny you say that, because they actually did have bottles of Fiji water for $5.  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:55 PM

Hahaha at least they got the water right!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Blu replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 9:16 PM

This is awesome!

I know I should be using this one rather than those other one they feature.. I saw and read in a Bolem posts, they also featuring some Technology stuffs,..

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS