Logitech Reveals Bluetooth Easy-Switch Keyboard And Rechargeable Trackpad

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:25 PM
There's no shortage of peripherals for Mac users these days, and Logitech certainly has a history of producing a good amount of them. Now, the company has introduced a new Bluetooth "Easy-Switch" keyboard as well as a Wireless Rechargeable Trackpad. The Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch Keyboard features Logitech Easy-Switch technology – similar to the Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 – so you can easily go from typing an e-mail on your Mac to taking notes on your iPad to replying to a text on your iPhone, by simply pressing a button. In addition, the Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad gives you the full set of Mac OS multi-touch gestures on a smooth glass surface. If you've skipped out on Apple's own Magic Trackpad, this seems like a good alternative.

The Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch Keyboard can pair with up to three Apple devices simultaneously, and its familiar Mac layout features the keys you’d expect, including Command, Brightness and Mission Control.  The Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad features multi-touch control, so you can click, scroll, swipe, zoom and more. Oddly, it's able to be recharged via USB, which is actually an interesting design choice that we wish were available on more wireless accessories.

The Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch Keyboard and the Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad are expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe in January 2013, for a suggested retail price of $99.99 and $69.99, respectively.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:46 AM

Interesting that they didn't try to outright beat the apple products similar to these outright in price.

The keyboard is $30 more expensive but it does have that awesome "easy-swtich" function that makes it ideal for someone using a full apple sweet of iProducts like an iPhone and iPad alongside their Mac. I think a versatile feature like that warrants the little price bump.

It was a great design choice to keep with a relatively similar grey/aluminum/metallic scheme on things so it'll look good on the desktop and not out of place like some peripherals do when paired up with Mac's

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:14 AM

Hold on I got a text message.

*Pulls out keyboard from backpack*

Well, I suppose if you're going to do it for the mac and Ipad, you might as well do it for the iphone as well.  It just seems a little silly to type a text message with a keyboard.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:33 AM

I think it's not for mobile purposes as in use while on the go, I'm pretty sure it's more of designed for a desk accessory, if you had your phone propped up and a text message came in, you could just press a button on the keyboard type a reply and press send to reply to the text and then go back to working on your computer without having to stop and pick up your phone

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:49 PM

This is just way too expensive!!!! I would rather buy the apple versions!!!! Apple keyboard is worth 70 so this is worth at most 60.... That means they are charging a $40 premium for an easy-switch function??? Even logitechs own apple BT keyboard with solar charger sells for less than this.

As for the trackpad what's the compelling reason to buy this version?.... It's $.99 more than apples version while only adding USB charging? As it is the apple version only needs the batteries changed 1-2 times a year.

Not to mention apples keyboard and Magic Trackpad will have much higher resale values it you ever wish to sell them off.

Logitechs name and build quality do not warrant a higher price than apples own metallic versions.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:54 PM

Dorkstar, I and my friends who have the apple BT keyboard do use it to type on our iPhones but normally for longer emails and Craigslist ads not really for txt messages though if one pops up during typing i'll respond with it. I've never taken the keyboard with me on the go it does stay at home.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:58 PM

Considering the wear and tear mouses and keyboards can go through if you use them consistently I'm not sure it's the kind of product you buy with the intent of reselling if you know what I mean?

.99 cents is definitely worth the advantage of USB charging in my opinion.
And the ability to use the slightly more expensive logitech keyboard is the ease of potentially switching it between multiple apple products used simultaneously.
It's really a good option if you've got the full suite of iMac+iPad+iPhone, since it makes the keyboard usable across all the devices with ease 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 2:43 PM

OSunday, I whole-heartedly disagree. I am not sure what kind of "wear and tear" your keyboards and mice are going through but all mine have always remained in prestine condition. Every single mouse and keyboard I have ever owned that have been upgraded/replaced have been sold off very successfully especially since I always tend to buy the best products highest quality items. I at one point owned the $69 apple BT keyboard which I paid retail plus tax for and sold it for $60 8 months later on craigalist without a scratch on it. I currently am using an apple magic mouse (in windows) that i can sell for $50-60 and I still have my Logitech G5 laser corded mouse with weight cartridge that I have had since 2004 and in almost new condiiton which I can sell IF I wanted to but I love this mouse.

.99 cents does sound good just to add usb charging I agree with that but you are also getting a slighly less attractive design, poorer quality/materials, and lower resale value. I personally would stick with apple version and save the $1.

A slightly more expensive keyboard??? Apples keyboard costs 31% less BEFORE taxes... that is a significant amount. You would also need 3 or more apple products to make the easy switch even worth it and are you really going to be lugging around all of those products with you every where you go or will you be using multiple products constantly that you need to switch back and forth? Have you ever heard of a KVM switch? They have been around a long time and though their functionality doesn't extend to mobile devices like ipads it is still the same concept and not many people own one. This keyboard should be at most $10 more than apples offering once you take build quality as a factor. I know it is actually a pain to use apples keyboard on a computer and then have to pair with an iphone or ipad and back to the computer again but it isn't hard and doesn't take too long unless you are doing it every other minute.

will this keyboard have a market? sure but an almost non-existant one. does this touch pad have a market? no not unless you're a diehard logitech fan.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 3:00 PM

sevags:

I still have my Logitech G5 laser corded mouse with weight cartridge that I have had since 2004 and in almost new condiiton which I can sell IF I wanted to but I love this mouse.

Right on man!  I still have my Logitech g5, battlefield 2142 edition,  from 2006.  I once tried to RMA it because my dpi settings kept changing, Logitech offered me the replacement.  I decided to just deal with the issue, which eventually disappeared, and still use my g5 today.  I remember the day I cranked the dpi up and put in the heaviest weights.  Talk about precision aiming.  Love that mouse..

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 3:50 PM

I guess my experience with peripherals isn't as common as most peoples.
I have 3 younger siblings who along with even my parents occasionally would use my computer or borrow my keyboard and mouse. They aren't necessarily the most conservative in using and preserving like technology like I am and it wouldn't be uncommon for them to eat and use the keyboards and mice and on rarer occasions even end up spilling things near them. If it were me alone using them I'm sure they'd be in better condition haha. Although I'm at college now I haven't bought any new keyboards and mice since I left home so it's the same things that were subject to the "wear and tear" of family use. I don't think that's a bad criteria to judge hardiness by because if it can survive that, it can surely survive conservative/cautious use and maintain a pristine resale value.

Attractiveness of the design is subject to preference, it's really not unattractive it's just a different finish than the one Apple has. Poorer quality or materials isn't capable of being judged without using the two side by side either, you can't just assume Logitech is going to be of lower quality, after all your Logitech G5 mouse is still in new condition after being used for 8 or so years so they clearly use quality materials for it to last that long. Resale value is probably pretty accurate, because of the iFrenzy for Apple products, more people will want something Apple branded.

And I agree with you, the extra 31% would be best justified by having a full ecosystem of Apple product (like 3 or more devices). And you can't really compare a KVM switch to the functionality of Logitech's Bluetooth switching capabilities because it can be used between Bluetooth capable devices, not just wired desktops. Logitech's keyboard is much more versatile and although its major appeal would be to people with a couple apple products it's a wider appeal than the purpose of KVM switches since not many people use multiple desktops simultaneously. It definitely does have a market, but not a non-existent one 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 4:34 PM

OSunday, I understand the family part... My mom have a 17" HP laptop that's mainly use by my mom and sis and I would be lying if I said the keyboard and touchpad would be considered sellable. Between not washing their hands before each use, eating around the keyboard, and not cleaning/dusting it it's in rough shape. The keys are smoothing out and losing their letters, and the touchpad's glossy surface is half chipped off a lot like a woman's nail polish after she's done a day of gardening without gloves. Any product they use whether it's Logitech or Apple probably won't have any resale value when they're done with it LOL so I do see your point there. My hardware however stays completely new.

Attractive design is subject to preference yes but most people the to agree with one another in this front and almost any human on the planet would say that a certain design (for any product in any category) looks better in high quality brushed aluminum than any type of plastic. Apples design is also a bit more artistic and thinner than logitechs which looks like a smaller Wacom pad. But you're right maybe there is someone out there who prefers a Wacom type slab to apples design, but I doubt many.

Poorer quality of materials CAN be determined without using a product. Aluminum is a higher end material over plastic it's more durable and that can't be argued, it scratches easier but that wouldn't change the performance of the pad. Yes my G5 has lasted 8 years nearly flawlessly but is the build quality better than my Apple Magic Mouse (half plastic half aluminum) No... Is the build of materials better than my Magic Mouse? hell no. Is it more attractive? Nopes. Does it perform better? YES!!!

Aren't there wireless KVM switches now? Sure not as convenient as BT for mobile devices... but it still never took off. But what it comes down to is what I said before, other than needing 3+ products to use it with to make it worthwhile but you would also need to switch between those products multiple times a day? Like from your iPad to your imac back to an iPad to your iPhone and back to the iMac... If you switch 1 or fewer times a day on average no matter how many compatible devices you have makes the markup completely not worth it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 6:08 PM

Yeah 4 years of high school having a majority of my tech and gadgets degraded and eventually trashed because of family use drove me INSANE. What you described has been the case with a majority of peripherals and laptops my family has owned haha.

And brushed aluminum looks nice (I'm not arguing there) but so does a chrome, matte or gloss black scheme as well even in cases when it's plastic over metal.
You do know that this keyboard  has real brushed aluminum with a high grade polished finish right? It's got equally as much plastic as Apple's does. And just as a side note this also has backlit keys and a hand proximity detector that turns off the lights while typing to conserve battery. The lighting also auto adjusts to the light conditions in the room. Those things alone offer some appeal over Apple's wireless BT keyboard.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:13 PM

Personally, I don't think I've ever had a peripheral that has lasted in "like new" condition for more than 6 months or so.  I don't think I've had a single keyboard that didn't have the WASD keys fade after a few months.  I guess i'm just rough on them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:49 PM

Just out of curiosity are these keyboards that come with pre-built systems when you buy them?
I've heard a consensus that the keyboards that come with systems are typically a POS and break down quite quickly 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS