Redbox Instant by Verizon Video Streaming Service Launches This Month

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,738
Points 1,209,590
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:28 AM

We've known Verizon and Coinstar were teaming up to offer a streaming and physical media service similar to Netflix. Earlier this month, we even heard suggestions the service could launch by the end of this year. With just over two weeks of 2012 left, there's not much time for these two companies to get the service off the ground if they want to have it live before the end of the year.

Now, Verizon Communications and Coinstar have officially said they will launch a video streaming service later this month. The service will launch as a public beta. Subscriptions will start at $8 per month for unlimited streaming and four one-night rentals at Redbox DVD kiosks. A $9 monthly Redbox Instant plan will provide unlimited streaming as well as the ability to rent Blu-ray discs. Considering Netflix's streaming and DVD rental package currently runs $15.98 per month, the Redbox Instant options are definitely competitive in terms of price.

Coinstar and Verizon inked a joint venture in February. Content from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate, and MGM will be available to Redbox Instant subscribers.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:59 AM

It's difficult comparing this to Netflix.  Netflix was unlimited dvd/blu-ray rentals, or at least was when I had it 2 years ago.  Honestly though, i don't know many people who actually use the mail in dvd program, as it's somewhat difficult for us lazy folk. 

I'm more excited to see what streaming media redbox/verizon is going to be able to provide.  Seeing that I have a redbox about 500 feet down the road from my house, and currently have verizon FIOS at the house, I'll definitely give this a shot.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:10 PM

Redbox's huge advantage is its instantaneous delivery by simply driving maybe a minute or two to the nearest redbox. That has a huge advantage of waiting days at a time for the Netflixs mail in program. It'll be interesting so see how this can compete further with Netflix by stepping onto their turf of streaming services

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:33 AM

OSunday:

Redbox's huge advantage is its instantaneous delivery by simply driving maybe a minute or two to the nearest redbox. That has a huge advantage of waiting days at a time for the Netflixs mail in program. It'll be interesting so see how this can compete further with Netflix by stepping onto their turf of streaming services

I don't know man.  You go down to the redbox in my neighborhood, and you are guaranteed to wait a while until everyone is done.  If you aren't careful you might get stabbed for that new release too! 

Alright, it's not that bad, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone covered in blood at that gas station.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS