Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3700 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:57 PM
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3700 ReviewIntel set the solid state storage market ablaze when it released the X25-M a few years back. Up until that point, solid state drives had steadily been improving in performance, but there was no real dominant player in the space. When the X25-M arrived though, with its proprietary controller, firmware, and NAND, it blew the doors of the competition and remained “the” drive to own for enthusiasts for quite some time. The X25-M was relatively pricey, but its performance was unrivaled.

However, Intel eventually moved away from its proprietary controller technology in the consumer space. But the Intel DC S3700 we’ll be showing you here features a new Intel-built, SATA 6Gbps controller that’s designed to offer more consistent, lower latency performance than previous generation Intel SSDs...

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3700 Review

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:31 PM

I like that you call it cheap in comparison to other enterprise drives, but then list it as "realtively expensive" under the "nots". That's like calling a porche expensive when comparing it to the price of a kia.

But yeah, I agree it's too expensive for us still living in mud huts.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:11 PM

Well, it's relatively expensive in light of all SSDs, but it's not for its target market.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Marco, re: "the Intel DC S3700 offers flat, consistent performance across the board, regardless of the queue depth or access pattern".

This is a clear sign of a design defect. When performance does not improve as a function of queue depth, it means that the drive is essentially broken, incapable of parallelization of queued I/O request.

That Intel marketeers can turn this around into some bizarre kind of "advantage" is amusing, at best.

From what I can see, these new "Data Center" class SSDs from Intel are optimized only to increase Intel's profit margins.

Apparently they do this by eliminating the licensing costs of the LSI Sandforce controller, which outperforms the Intel silicon by a factor of 2x-3x.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,934
Points 24,785
digitaldd replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 9:33 AM

ClockSpeedy, Keep in mind this Intel 'enterprise' drive is an MLC model which is why its more reasonably priced. The SLC enterprise SSDs are still the way to go if speed and reliability are the key factors.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS