Microsoft SkyDrive Now Available On Xbox 360

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,855
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:02 PM
In keeping with its strategy to unify all screens in its product ecosystem, Microsoft has added a SkyDrive app to the Xbox 360 that allows you to see, interact with, upload, and share your SkyDrive photos and videos in the living room.

You can pull up your SkyDrive media and easily show images or video from an event (bringing the living room vacation pictures slideshow, begrudgingly endured by friends and family for decades, full circle), snap a picture and see it appear in your SkyDrive camera roll, and so on. The app also supports Kinect voice controls and gestures, which is a nice touch.

SkyDrive for Xbox

To get the app for your very own, fire up your TV and Xbox, go to Apps, and find SkyDrive under the Social category.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:24 PM

If only skydrive had more free storage space, this would make a nifty little home media set up.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:38 PM

Now they need to add the ability to backup your game saves and other things there. I admit I'm a little surprised they didn't roll out that ability with this launch.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 7:54 PM

I was just thinking the same thing Dorkstar!

If it's powerful enough to stream HD video, this would be awesome to use with a PC and Xbox 360 in the living room for when Netflix or Hulu can't get the job done.

I'm sure if SkyDrive's use increases and it becomes more popular that Microsoft would consider using it as a larger storage option with multiple pricing points. Integration with games and saves would be a huge addition too and maybe it'll end up replacing physical storage space in the long run.

An Xbox like device with a small SSD would have better performance and work quicker, the only caveat is that online game saves requires an internet connection.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:19 PM

Yep, I think RWilliams had a good point to. There's so much more that can be done if they just opened up SkyDrive to Xbox users. How nice would be to reach your storage limit, and instead of needing to run out to pick up another hard drive, you could just buy a higher data plan?

However, I'm sure Microsoft has considered allowing it to be a home media device as well as game storage. In the end it probably came down to the amount of dollars that would go into Microsoft's pocket, and they probably axed the ideas. Perhaps the Steam console will allow all of this...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS