First Window Phone 8 OTA Update Being Rolled Out Now

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,855
Points 1,171,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:30 AM
HTC 8X owners have begun to receive the first over-the-air (OTA) update for Windows Phone 8. The update introduces a persistent Wi-Fi feature, which prevents the handset from switching over to cellular mode after the display's been turned off, and also fixes a rebooting issue some HTC 8X owners had complained about.

According to WPCentral, the update, codenamed "Portico," takes about 10 minutes to download and prepare, plus another "10 minutes or so" to apply. After that, it takes yet another 5 minutes to migrate existing data, so you're looking at an update process that could take upwards of half an hour.

HTC 8X
In addition to finally addressing the Wi-Fi issue and kicking out a reboot bug, Portico introduces a few new features to the OS, including SMS Call Reject similar to what's seen in iOS 6, SMS Drafts to save messages before sending, and SMS Select All for mass deleting text messages/threads.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 7:43 PM

OTA updates are the way to go but around 30 minutes for it to download and apply seems "tad" bit lengthy if you ask me... For that much time it should be some sort of huge update with lots of improvements and changes, otherwise why would it take so long to make some minor tweaks and improvements?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:23 PM

OSunday:

OTA updates are the way to go but around 30 minutes for it to download and apply seems "tad" bit lengthy if you ask me... For that much time it should be some sort of huge update with lots of improvements and changes, otherwise why would it take so long to make some minor tweaks and improvements?

Regardless of the length of time it takes, OTA is much more convienent then plugging a device in.  My computer is upstairs, and when i'm on it, i'm gaming or working.  I don't ever think about updating my phone when i'm up there, i'm too busy.  However once Apple allowed OTA updates, I started updating anytime I see it available.  It's nice to click update phone, put it down on the desk, go back to what I was doing, and pick it up later to find a successful update. 

Now obviously 30 minutes is too long if you're in a hurry, but you could always update when you go to bed if every update took this long.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

As we know for different people they use different kinds of mobile phone signals. Just as the people around you like your friends, your colleagues, your family members and so on, they may use the different mobile phone signals as now there are various mobile phone signals from different companies and of which the frequency bands are also different such as the CDMA, GSM, DCS, PCS, 3G, 4G LTE and 4G Wimax. So in different conditions and circumstances people are in need of the Cell Phone Blockers  that of different frequency bands. But if people are in great need of a mobile phone jammer via which they can decide the jamming frequency bands what kind of device should they choose? Of course, the adjustable cell phone jammer is the best for them in such condition.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS