LG Optimus G Android Smartphone Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,435
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:31 PM

LG Optimus G Android Smartphone ReviewAlthough it's already flooded with a slew of excellent devices, the smartphone market has shown no signs of letting up. While Samsung and Apple are dominating the charts in terms of global hardware market share, Android's continued rise in the smartphone space has also been bolstered by devices from companies like HTC, Sony, and LG. In fact, LG was the company chosen to produce the most recently released Nexus-branded smartphone, the powerful Nexus 4.

The Optimus G that we're reviewing here has a lot in common with the Nexus 4, and it's impossible to evaluate this handset without drawing direct comparisons to its Google-branded sibling...

LG Optimus G Android Smartphone Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:49 PM

This is one BORNING looking phone, completely square, flat, with a Kevlar backing ripped off of Motorola

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:49 PM

I like the design, and the power, but I feel like it's falling short in some area's that I personally would enjoy. It could have a little higher screen resolution like some of the newer phones coming out, the battery life is just down right horrible, I couldn't expect this thing to last through a typical workday without plugging it in.

The camera seems to be about average, maybe a little above average with the available software to help the image look a little better. The screen size is a little big for me, I like the smaller screens, I think the iphone 5 at 4" is plenty for me, however I've never actually owned a phone bigger than that, so my opinion isn't from experience.

Not a bad phone overall though, I'll have to have my wife check it out, she might like it. She's still telling me everyday she wants a Note II, but doesn't want a huge screen.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:53 PM

@sevaggs - are you shopping for a phone, or a chrome-covered jacked-up 4x4 pickup? Does the phone have to actually work, or are you just going to use it to impress idiots with its looks?

And to the author: "if you tilt the screen at a more extreme angle, you'll notice a subtle discoloration. Whites turn a slight off-white, almost yellow, and based on the information we have available, this issue seems to be uniform across these devices. It's not a huge issue until you tilt the screen at fairly extreme angles, but most other devices don't have the same issue. For a flagship phone, it's fairly disheartening to see such an obvious weak spot in the panel."

Who's going to do that in normal use? This is not an "antennagate" issue, it's something that no one would ever have a problem with if they were using their device like everyone else uses theirs. Do you frequently lay your LCD TV down on its back, and then watch it at an extreme angle? That's the same kind of thing - and will get you similar results.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 320
samwelaye replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:01 PM

its not kevlar, its glass.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:22 PM

Why is this phone SO much more powerful than the Google Nexus 4 when they are essentially the same phone with a few minor differences????

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:35 PM

Hey Acarzt; it is a quad core processor phone, has more memory, and I am pretty sure a higher memory bandwidth internally as well. Oh and an enhanced GPU as well!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:37 PM

rapid1:

Hey Acarzt; it is a quad core processor phone, has more memory, and I am pretty sure a higher memory bandwidth internally as well.

Yep, and the benchmark scores on this phone are crazy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:48 PM

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:52 PM

Google Nexus 4 is made by LG... here are the specs taken from here at hothardware.com:

"Under the hood you'll find a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz with Adreno 320 graphics and 2GB of RAM along with either 8GB or 16GB of storage and a 2100mAh battery."

And a line from this review:

"If you weren't aware, the Optimus G was the first commercially available smartphone to use Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC (APQ8064) paired with an LTE radio. That's a 1.5GHz quad-core chip, inside a smartphone. That's about as cutting edge as it gets right now, and when you consider the beefy 2GB of RAM and Adreno 320 GPU, it's pretty clear that the bar is set high. "

Yet the Opimus smokes the Nexus 4..... What gives???

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:04 PM

"The Nexus 4 lacks LTE, and if that's a huge deal to you, be sure to take that into account,"

The Nexus 4 has an LTE chip on board. It is turned off by default.... It can be turned on... But it doesn't exactly work on every network in every location... lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:21 PM

acarzt:

"The Nexus 4 lacks LTE, and if that's a huge deal to you, be sure to take that into account,"

The Nexus 4 has an LTE chip on board. It is turned off by default.... It can be turned on... But it doesn't exactly work on every network in every location... lol

Yep I thought that was really odd as well.  From what I read it will only work on T-Mobiles band 4 once they get it running.  Maybe it was just an inside deal with T-Mobile?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:41 AM

acarzt:

Why is this phone SO much more powerful than the Google Nexus 4 when they are essentially the same phone with a few minor differences????

Not sure about the power but I've heard the Nexus 4 has heat issues.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:12 PM

digitaldd:

acarzt:

Not sure about the power but I've heard the Nexus 4 has heat issues.

Mine does get quite hot... but it doesn't appear to have caused any problems for me... yet

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS