Sprint Seeks Partnership with Dish Network

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:24 PM
In an increasingly competitive wireless landscape, Sprint is reportedly trying to sweet talk satellite provider Dish Network into working together on providing mobile phone service over the carrier's network. The discussion has been going on for several months, though it's unclear if the two sides are close to an agreement or not.

According to Bloomberg, Sprint wants access to Dish's mobile airwaves, which aren't even being used at the moment. The two companies would then share revenue from customers who sign up for Dish's wireless service. Alternately, Dish could pay Sprint a fee to use the network.

Dish Network
Image Source: Flickr (Dave Lindblom)

This is a possible win-win situation. The benefit for Dish is that it could enter the mobile phone market without having to build its own network. Almost instantaneously, it would be able to offer its 14 million subscribers wireless service. It's already known that Dish is interested in mobile phone service, as it attempted to acquire MetroPCS in August for $4 billion (MetroPCS didn't bite).

The deal would also help No. 3 carrier Sprint compete with top dogs Verizon and AT&T.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

Another mega-merger made in corporate interests.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

So we got google and sprint all trying to piggy back on dish's decision to move into the mobile market?  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:10 PM

If it improves cell phone service why not?
Hopefully though, those potential "fees" for use or the partnership in general won't cause sprint to have to jack up their service plans. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:13 PM

realneil:

Another mega-merger made in corporate interests.

A buddy of mine worked for AT&T as contractor for a while repairing telephone lines.  During their 2 weeks of training up in Oklahoma City, his instructor had a slideshow that showed AT&T (or whatever it used to be) before it was split up due to being a monopoly.  Then it went on to show how this one company bought out one of the pieces, then another company bought up another piece, then in the end AT&T bought all those companies.  So in the end AT&T is back to having the exact monopoly again over phone service, but no ones bothered to break them up again.  Strange eh?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:20 PM

If that's the case I'm sure they'll potentially have a little competition from Sprint now anyways, but it seems like buying up smaller companies isn't unique to AT&T, Verizon Wireless owns a couple smaller cell phone companies they bought like Virgin Mobile too.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:26 PM

OSunday:

If that's the case I'm sure they'll potentially have a little competition from Sprint now anyways, but it seems like buying up smaller companies isn't unique to AT&T, Verizon Wireless owns a couple smaller cell phone companies they bought like Virgin Mobile too.

Everyone buys smaller companies, that just standard business practice for larger companies.  The interesting point was that AT&T was a monopoly that was broken up by the US, then went back and bought back everything it was forced to lose, therefore remaining a monopoly.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:56 PM

Ahh I see but... what I guess they found some sort of major loophole to be able to do that and might be potentially looking at having "monopoly" thrown at them again, even if it isn't the case.

Maybe the purpose of the breakup was to let other companies establish a foothold, which now that, that may have theoretically been accomplished might mean that if AT&T re-buys everything they were forced to lose, their no longer a monopoly in the present with the same assets from a few years ago because of the growth of other companies 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:27 AM

OSunday:

Ahh I see but... what I guess they found some sort of major loophole to be able to do that and might be potentially looking at having "monopoly" thrown at them again, even if it isn't the case.

Maybe the purpose of the breakup was to let other companies establish a foothold, which now that, that may have theoretically been accomplished might mean that if AT&T re-buys everything they were forced to lose, their no longer a monopoly in the present with the same assets from a few years ago because of the growth of other companies 

Lets just stick with they were a monopoly who split up and bought everyone back, so they're a monopoly again.

My head is hurting.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:53 AM

Haha, ok ok.
...But AT&T really isn't as much of a monopoly anymore, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile compete decently well with them

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:16 PM

OSunday:

Haha, ok ok.
...But AT&T really isn't as much of a monopoly anymore, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile compete decently well with them

On the wireless side yeah, but AT&T's monopoly is mainly land lines and long distance service. 

Here's the picture the guy showed my buddy in the training siminar. 

This is actually from the Colbert report, but it's sadly true.

This one is a little easier to read, basically the businesses in the middle resulted from the government breaking up the monopoly in 1984, and the items on the right are where they are in the present day.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 8:10 PM

Ahh, I didn't consider landline services... I kind of assumed not many people use them anymore. My family doesn't, we all have cell phones.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS