LG Explains Reason Behind Nexus 4 Shortage

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:03 PM
Google may have pulled the biggest prank of the year by launching its much coveted Nexus 4 smartphone, only to tease buyers with a shortage of inventory and long wait times for the lucky few who managed to place an order. Could it really be that Google and LG simply failed to anticipate the demand a powerful and pure Android phone would elicit? In a word, yes.

In a few more words, LG told CNet's U.K. division that it's having trouble meeting demand because the smartphone is wildly popular.

"[The Nexus 4] had proven extremely popular, and as such retailers have been met with huge demand," said Andy Coughlin, head of mobile at LG U.K. "We are working closely with Google to ensure that those who wish to purchase a handset are able to do so."

Nexus 4

LG isn't solely to blame. Coughlin explained that LG supplies product quantities based on retailers' forecasts, a notion that insinuates Google didn't fully anticipate how popular the Nexus 4 would be. That's a bit surprising when you consider everything the device brings to the table.

The Nexus 4 is so highly sought after because it's powerful (quad-core processor,), unlocked, purely Android (no UI overlays, ships with Jelly Bean out of the box), and relatively affordable off-contract (starts at $299).
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

Sounds like a nice phone

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

I've actually read about this in a few different places.  It is very odd that google underestimated the demand of one of their more popular lines of phones, especially considered the spec's it brings to the table.  I guess they thought the s3 and iphone 5 would have filled up most of the contract renewals out there.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I'm very excited to receive this phone. I got lucky and was able to order the 16gb version on Dec.3, was told it would be a 6-7 week wait time for it to arrive. Excited to see how much better this phone will be compared to my current iPhone is

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

is a very good smartphone!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 9:42 AM

Obviously even Google's algorithms sometimes fail to adequately predict the future !... Smile

Henri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775
digitaldd replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:50 AM

Nexus 4 is is short supply due to Google subsidizing the cost, $300-325 is reasonable for a full price unlocked top of the line phone. Full price would probably be twice that.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS