GameStop to Sell Kindle Fire Tablets, $25 Amazon Gift Card Included

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,736
Points 1,209,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 8 2012 10:49 AM
After being shunned by Target and Walmart, both of which stopped carrying Amazon's Kindle line because of the small profit margin (and because Amazon is major competitor to their brick-and-mortar business model), Amazon is taking its Kindle Fire tablets to GameStop. The new and used games retailer is more than happy to oblige and is already selling the Kindle Fire HD 7" ($200). Those interested in the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" ($300) and Kindle Fire 7" ($160) will find those devices in select stores.

It's not such an unlikely match. GameStop recently made a push into tablet territory, recognizing the rabid demand for such devices, and also the ability of tablets to play games. And obviously Amazon is thrilled to be embraced in the brick-and-mortar sector.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9

"Gaming is one of the most popular activities on Kindle Fire, so we’re excited that GameStop is offering the new Kindle Fire family to its customers," said Mike McKenna, vice president, Amazon Kindle. "Kindle Fire HD, with its stunning custom HD display, gyroscope and accelerometer with full tilt and turn controls is great for gaming, and the perfect choice for GameStop’s enthusiastic customer base."

To kick off the new partnership, GameStop customers who purchase a new Kindle Fire from now through January 31, 2013, will receive a $25 Amazon.com gift card. GameStop is also offering up to $100 in-store credit when customers trade in their original Kindle Fire.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

What a good idea, not only will this reach the gamer market, but a lot of those gamers have parents or spouses who get dragged along to pick up the midnight release of this years next hot thing.  However i'm afraid of gamestops trade-in program for tablets, as the game trade in sucks horribly.  

Yes sir, we can give you $5 for your kindle, or a $8 in store credit!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:42 AM

Since the kindle is based so strongly around Amazon.. which started primarily with selling books, and now the Kindle which functions as an amazing e-reader for amazons e-book selection..

Maybe just maybe this will get kids to read a little more compared to video games?

Nah who am I kidding it'll just be used for Angry Birds

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I see, Angry birds being installed on every single one of these tablets. thats it XD

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

GameStop?

People still go there?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

realneil:

GameStop?

People still go there?

Where's the first place you think of that will have any game you want and be open for any midnight release?

Yeah... that's why people still go there.  I want funcoland back.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:48 AM

Dorkstar:

realneil:

GameStop?

People still go there?

Where's the first place you think of that will have any game you want and be open for any midnight release?

STEAM

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:28 AM

realneil:

Dorkstar:

realneil:

GameStop?

People still go there?

STEAM

I'm with you there, but STEAM doesn't sell console games. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:57 AM

That's a good point, but doesn't effect me at all.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:06 PM

Well for me it does, I try to keep a healthy balance of gaming and hanging out with the family.  When my daughter was only a few months old she wouldn't go to sleep without someone walking her, and you literally had to rock her for an hour to get her to go down, she just wasn't a good sleeper.  So I picked up skyrim for the PS3, and I'd sit there with her in my arms and the controller sideways playing skyrim.  It not only made putting her to bed a heck of a lot less stressful, it gave my wife some time to unwind, and allowed me to get some of that lost gaming time back in. 

Also, in case anyone is wondering.  Laptop gaming is out of the question when you have an overly curious toddler.  She enjoys slapping at the keyboard, and touching the screen.  Try sitting up on a high table, and she just yells at you until you either close the laptop or let her slap at it.  Damn kid takes after me too much.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:07 PM

Most PC gamers tend to be a little bit older than console gamers because of the complexity and knowledge required to potentially build a pc and then use it for gaming and work through settings and all that.

Console gamers because of the younger age group don't have ordering online as as much of an option since their usually using cash from gifts, leaving retail stores as sort of the only place to buy games. (I know that was the case for me when I was younger, and would be the case for my younger brother if he didn't have me!)

@Dorkstar
Little did you know it was actually the soothing sound of Skyrim's sound track that was helping put her to sleep and not the rocking at all... not to mention the dreams of being a dragon-born that accompany falling asleep to sounds of Skyrim. Basically you've just destined your daughter for greatness haha. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:20 PM

OSunday:

@Dorkstar
Little did you know it was actually the soothing sound of Skyrim's sound track that was helping put her to sleep and not the rocking at all... not to mention the dreams of being a dragon-born that accompany falling asleep to sounds of Skyrim. Basically you've just destined your daughter for greatness haha. 

lol, I try.  I really haven't picked Skyrim back up since she was a little baby.  Every now and then I'll try to play a game when she's preoccupied with something, she'll just stop and stare at the screen for a few seconds.  Then she'll look at my hands, look at the screen, look at my hands again, and run over to the controller in an attempt to see how i'm using my magic to make the TV do things.  I keep telling my wife she's going to be a gamer, she just has such an interest in remote controls and screens.  For some reason she likes dashboard's like PS3 and Xbox live more than anything else.  She'll sit there and watch me scroll through the xbox live dashboard for hours.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:41 PM

I used to just turn on the stereo and hold the kid while I slow danced in a darkened room. That worked like a charm.

Another way I did it was to put the baby wrapped-up tightly on the floor of the car and drive around slowly with soft music playing.

Soft music and 400HP works well too. (2000RPM and second gear)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:44 PM

realneil:

I used to just turn on the stereo and hold the kid while I slow danced in a darkened room. That worked like a charm.

Another way I did it was to put the baby wrapped-up tightly on the floor of the car and drive around slowly with soft music playing.

Soft music and 400HP works well too. (2000RPM and second gear)

Man, all I can think about is the baby rolling around on the floorboard with every turn, some Al Green playing, and all while driving a 1970 Chevelle SS at 10 MPH.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:09 PM

It was an SS Impala 427.  Big Smile  Back then, we had no child seats or requirement for them. I would drive nice and easy, usually in housing areas ~without~ the rolling around going on,....LOL! I used the RPMs to get the best pitch inside the car.

I'm 59 years old and my oldest kid is 43 now. (youngest is 25)

The high performance rumble coming through the car's floor really did the trick.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
JJ111985 replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:49 AM

The Kindle Fire HD is great! I'm absolutely in LOVE with this thing! It's easy to use so I didn't have to go searching the internet for tutorials. Here's the one I have on Amazon http://bit.ly/S1CzWe. If you're looking to get a tablet I'd recommend the Kindle Fire HD over the other tablets, it really blows them away. :)

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS