Apple iPhone Finally Headed to T-Mobile in 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,819
Points 1,166,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:38 PM
Wireless carrier T-Mobile is finally and nearly officially going to start offering the iPhone and other Apple products beginning next year. We say it's "nearly" official because parent company Deutsche Telekom didn't specifically single out the iPhone, but did say that it hammered out an "agreement with Apple to bring products to market together in 2013."

For whatever reason, T-Mobile seems hesitant to come right out and mention the iPhone, even if the major news outlets aren't as reserved. Perhaps they're worried about jinxing the deal after the way the whole AT&T merger went up in flames, or maybe they're saving the nugget for an upcoming press release (such as an iPhone 5S launch). Still, it's pretty easy to read between the lines.

iPhone 5

"In the coming year, T-Mobile USA will continue to reinforce its market presence with additions to its rate plan and product portfolio, including Apple products. Following on from the preceding steps such as the spectrum swap with Verizon, the towers deal with Crown Castle and the transaction with MetroPCS that we have announced, we have now added the final piece to the jigsaw to boost the competitiveness of T-Mobile USA sustainably," Deutsche Telekom Chairman René Obermann said in a statement.

When the iPhone first debuted, AT&T held exclusive rights in the U.S. Now all the major carriers offer the iPhone, except for T-Mobile. Come 2013, that will change, and it will be interesting to see if T-Mobile's pricing undergoes any changes.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685

While Im not an iphone fan, I hope this brings more money to T-mobile and makes them more competitive so they can put up more towers or whatever they need to do to increase signal and area covered. Hopefully they didnt have to sell their soul in the deal though and have to increase costs to compensate.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Haha, I don't think they'll need to sell their soul.  After all they are the last big carrier to get the Iphone, and really late at that.  Anything to create competition is a good thing in my book.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:11 PM

With that Gorgeous T-mobile model holding up the iPhone I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple's shares go back from their little plunge haha

And it's easy to read between the lines, but what if something hilariously ironic happens like... Just the iPad going to T-mobile and not the iPhone at all. Of course, that really wouldn't make sense but it would be pretty funny haha.

And its safe to say that the phone unlocking market will be taking a big ding from this announcement but it's good to add some variety to T-mobiles cell phone selection and especially a product as popular as the iPhone

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:52 AM

Actually from what I read yesterday about t-mobile opening up their LTE on band 4, this could be a really good move for T-Mobile.  No one else using band 4 in the US, so if you travel quite a bit to other countries who do use band 4, making the move to t-mobile may be a better option for you.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS