Intel To Support Socketed CPUs for the “Foreseeable Future”

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,405
Points 1,192,745
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 12:58 PM
If you’ve been losing sleep over rumors that Intel was planning to do away with socketed CPUs and move to soldered-in-place ball grid array chips, rest easy; the company told Maximum PC that it would stick with LGA sockets for the foreseeable future.

Although noting that Intel can’t really comment on its long-term roadmap for processors, Intel’s Dan Snyder stated, “Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the Enthusiast DIY market.”

Intel NUC
Intel's NUC (Next Unit of Computing)

This is excellent news for computer tinkerers, modders, and builders, as soldered CPUs would be a huge blow to the enthusiast market; no longer would people be able to choose a motherboard apart from the CPU. That’s not to say that Intel isn’t looking at soldering CPUs to motherboards--see our review of Intel’s NUC as an example--but LGA sockets aren’t going anywhere for now, and it doesn’t make a lot of sense for the chipmaker to do so.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:31 PM

That's nice to hear I was wondering a few days back when I heard they were moving away from the socket and the new CPU'S would be affixed etc with several (negative to me) effects!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 5,605
ForumsAdministrator

I never understood the concept, unless Intel were to drastically reduce the number of processor models. It's just not reasonable to expect companies to pick and choose a range of CPUs that are affixed to their boards - it's not feasible to operate like that. If it does ever happen, it's going to be a serious blow to hardware enthusiasts. I couldn't imagine suddenly being locked into a motherboard and CPU choice instead of having the freedom to fine-tune things the way I like. Oh, and upgrading the CPU is a pretty nice ability, too...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:04 PM

RWilliams:
.. it's going to be a serious blow to hardware enthusiasts. I couldn't imagine suddenly being locked into a motherboard and CPU choice instead of having the freedom to fine-tune things the way I like. Oh, and upgrading the CPU is a pretty nice ability, too...

For sure man ! Yes I was a bit depressed reading about this a few days ago too and have to say that  I would actually miss the 'ritual'.. carefully  holding the  cpu -  dropping it  into place- checking orientation Wink woo-hoo fun with the lever, Stick out tongue the application of TIM - installing and mounting the cooler .

YeoooZa   ! Always been great stuff to me . Smile

Could be a pretty safe bet that the ritual of installing and upgrading CPUs with that  sweeet hands on experience  would be surely missed .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

The avalanche of changes this would bring would be astounding.  Thermal paste manufacturers would lose out, motherboard makers would lose out, and us PC enthusiast would be left out in the cold without the ability to upgrade.

Surely it's a good idea in certain markets, just not in PC's.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Now if only AMD can create some competition and produce some worthy processors to compete with Intel.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

^I agree! AMD really needs to pull up its socks, and frankly, get tis ^$&% together in the CPU department.

Intel really does make great products, and I'm glad that they will continue to make socket processors for the " Foreseeable future."

Thanks HH for being the first to break the news to me :)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:13 PM

Getting rid of socketed CPU's would be throwing away a huge market of customers and a lot of research and time spent on Sockets and CPU's so of course it wouldn't make sense... but none the less, the idea of socketed CPU's being gone is pretty scary and it's great to let out a sigh of relief that customization is still gonna be around for at least the "foreseeable future"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS