Samsung To Introduce Unbreakable Display For Next Gen Galaxy S IV

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,353
Points 1,191,495
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 12:37 PM
Some of us do it in the dark, others do it with the lights on. Heck, I've even done it in public, more than once. Yes, at some point or another, we all drop our smartphones (what did you think I was talking about?, and it's a little surprising it doesn't happen more often when you think about the number of times it gets handled in a normal day, let alone a busy one. If you're lucky, it will land face-side up, leaving just a few scuff marks on the chassis (provided it's not protected in a bulky case). But what if someone developed an unbreakable screen?

Sounds too good to be true, yet it's what some claim will be a standout feature of Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S IV smartphone. Codenamed Project J, the Galaxy S IV is supposed to have a bigger and much better display, both in terms of durability and picture quality.

Cracked Galaxy S III

According to Reuters, Samsung is a frontrunner in developing unbreakable screens. That's because Samsung has a big interest in OLED (organic light-emitting diode) displays, and a feature of OLED panels is that plastic material can replace glass substrate.

Stanford Bernstein analyst tells Reuters that it's just a matter of time before Samsung unveils an unbreakable display, and that it might be both foldable and flexible too.

"That's going to be a game changer," Bernstein said.

Whether or not that's really the case remains to be seen. For now, Samsung is keeping tight-lipped about the Galaxy S IV, which could debut as early as April 2013.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,032
Points 9,615
sevags replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:30 PM

Maybe unbreakable but plastic tends to scratch much easier than glass and I've never known plastic to be as clear or opaque as glass. We will have to actually see it to judge... Considering I've only ever broken 1 screen on a phone and that was my palm treo in 2008 while I was excessively drunk in Vegas so I would still prefer glass myself.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 185
Points 1,730
lipe123 replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:28 PM

Put a screen protector on so scratching is not an issue.

These screens wont exactly be your run of the mill ice cream lid plastic I'm pretty sure it will look as good as glass.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

I'm all for a non-scratchable, non-breakable.  Unfortunately it's sounding like we're only going to have one or the other in the near future.  My biggest issue isn't breaking my screen, if that were an issue, i'd just have it repaired.   My problem is putting my phone in my pocket with my keys, and my keys start putting gashes in the glass.  I've just never been able to keep those screen protectors on.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I heard about this a while back, it sounds really interesting. But I am not that impressed. I would much rather see a really good screen protector that makes my 4k phone screen unbreakable.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:27 PM

Have any of you guys used Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors?

I've literally been putting them on ALL my electronics since I first got one for my Droid X back when I got my first smartphone with Android and haven't turned back since then.

They apply with an adhesive liquid that you press out after application (I know the thought of liquid near a phone sounds bad, but it turns out well) so you end up with a sealed, bubble-less and thoroughly adhered screen protector (and no it's not permanent nor does it leave any residue)

It's a little thicker than most screen protectors and has a gel-like quality to it that not only protects the screen from scratches, knicks and dings but prevents the actual screen from splattering by dissipating force and pressure evenly through the screen protector

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:28 PM

Hopefully a flexible "Unbreakable" display can embody and replicate some of the qualities of the Zagg screen protector I mentioned because I find the combination of that with Gorilla Glass screens pretty damn strong.

I dropped my Droid X and iPhone tones of times at every angle possible and never had a crack or shatter on either screen.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:55 AM

OSunday:

Have any of you guys used Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors?

I've literally been putting them on ALL my electronics since I first got one for my Droid X back when I got my first smartphone with Android and haven't turned back since then.

They apply with an adhesive liquid that you press out after application (I know the thought of liquid near a phone sounds bad, but it turns out well) so you end up with a sealed, bubble-less and thoroughly adhered screen protector (and no it's not permanent nor does it leave any residue)

It's a little thicker than most screen protectors and has a gel-like quality to it that not only protects the screen from scratches, knicks and dings but prevents the actual screen from splattering by dissipating force and pressure evenly through the screen protector

I had one on my iphone 4, I felt robbed when I paid $20 for it, but after using it for a while, it's completely worth the price.  They also come with a lifetime warranty, so after mine rolled up on me one day in my pocket, I submitted for a replacement.  Had they not wanted me to pay something like $5 for shipping and handling I probably would have done it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS