Happy Holidays: Mom Orders iPad But Gets Shipped Five Instead

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:42 AM
If you ordered and paid for a single iPad tablet but received a box full of five iPads, what would you do? Such is the ethical dilemma a son and his girlfriend found themselves in after the boy's mother ordered him an iPad from Best Buy only for him to receive five of them.

Before you say one way or the other, it should be made clear that the son and his girlfriend did in fact email Best Buy to let them know what happened (i.e., they did the right thing). Best Buy didn't respond to the email, so at that point, the ethical dilemma gets a little more sketchy, does it not?

Here's where things get interesting. According to The Consumerist, if an incorrect package is shipped to you, as was the case in this instance, the FTC says you can consider it a gift.

Apple iPad

"This is in order to prevent companies from shipping you merchandise that you never asked for, then hounding you for the money," The Consumerist explains. "So they'd be well within their rights to keep or sell the iPads, or even hit them with sledgehammers if that's what they feel like doing."

Of course, doing so in an instance like this means that somebody in the company's warehouse might end up losing their job. Whether you're okay with that or not depends on the configuration of your moral compass.

The Consumerist contacted Best Buy on behalf of the mom, her son, and her son's girlfriend, and got a really cool response.

Best Buy Store

"First and foremost, I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your honesty," Best Buy said. "That is so rare in this day and age and I sincerely thank you! We, here at Best Buy, acknowledge that we obviously made a mistake, but in the spirit of the holidays, we encourage you to keep the additional iPads and give them to people in need – friends, family, a local school or charity...Thank you so very much for coming forward and I hope your boyfriend enjoys his new iPad. Merry Christmas!"

It seems there's something in the air that has companies in the holiday spirit this year (see the kid who received a discontinued LEGOs set). In any event, well played, Best Buy.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Awesome and that is how customer service should work. Besides they can write it off in the end as inventory shrink so they just made someone ridiculously happy and are really not out much.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:22 AM

Epic response. To see a company drop over $2000 in losses as easily as that in its acknowledgement. Great PR.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:25 AM

That is very nice of BB.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 999
Points 14,415
Manduh replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 12:50 PM

Amazing!!! If this happened to me I don't think I would be as um, nice or um, honest LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 5,700
ForumsAdministrator

Wow, I am genuinely impressed with how Best Buy handled this. Cheers to them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Screw Best Buy being nice... we can keep over shipments?!  Haha, i'm kidding.  I'd definitely contact the company and do the right thing here, but that's just crazy.  Makes me wonder if someone just hated their job and started sending everyone more than what they ordered.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

Very good move on BB's behalf. Nothing like positive PR to help get people into your stores.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Wow, lucky guys! I'm glad that Best Buy did this, but then again it probably would have been a real big hassle to ship everything back and get everything worked out in that aspect. Oh well, guess they have got a whole bunch of apple products to give for christmas! :D

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I would have probably insisted on shipping them back :/ Its how I roll.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:44 PM

Holy Crap...Best buy.... doing something right?!?

Now I'm really impressed.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:37 AM

OSunday:

Holy Crap...Best buy.... doing something right?!?

Now I'm really impressed.

Haha, I got a good laugh out of this one.  

How my walk through Best Buy usually goes

"Oh look, a 5 foot dvi cable, we need that in the living room"

" SIXTY DOLLARS!?" 

*Leave store*

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS