Google Now Gets Even Smarter, Particularly For Travelers

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,711
Points 1,208,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 6:13 PM
Google Now is getting even smarter. Widely viewed as, in many cases, superior to Siri, Google's own intelligent assistant has taken Jelly Bean owners by storm, offering them news and suggestions without them even needing to ask for it. Now, the product is seeing its first major update, and travelers are going to love it. Before you even leave your house, Google Now will tell you what the weather will be like at your destination, and at the airport, your boarding pass is automatically pulled up. For now, only United Airlines is supported, but Google promises that more are on the way. And once you've arrived at your destination, Google Now can help you uncover some great activities, by showing you events happening around you, suggesting websites for you to explore as you research things to do, or allowing you to learn more about specific pieces while you’re at a museum (using Google Goggles).

All of this builds on top of some of the other cards designed for travel, like the currency conversion, translation, and flight status cards. Moreover, Google's making Voice Search even more powerful: you can find out the name of the song that’s playing (“What’s this song?”), quickly find product info (“Scan this barcode”) and post updates to Google+ simply by using just your voice.

Just download the newest Google Search app build, available for devices running Android 4.1 or newer, to enjoy the spoils.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

I didn't even know this existed. Does this work on Android tablets too?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

This is obviously neat for anyone traveling internationally, or to those few spots in the US you don't want to be at.  But, my experience with QQ/3d barcodes on phones is that no one really uses them, or the employees don't know how to do it, we just aren't really there with the technology yet.  The only place I've seen successfully use it was Starbucks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

Sounds spooky - and, indeed, more than a little overbearing - to me. Do people really want their «phones» (minicomputers) to «autonomously» offer them suggestions as to what they should do and where they should go ? Without having been asked ?...

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:25 AM

mhenriday:

Sounds spooky - and, indeed, more than a little overbearing - to me. Do people really want their «phones» (minicomputers) to «autonomously» offer them suggestions as to what they should do and where they should go ? Without having been asked ?...

Henri

Yeah.  It's not different then having location services turned on your mobile phone.  I'd rather my phone know where I want to go eat, rather than know my exact location.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:34 AM

Without your asking it ?!! Brrrrrr....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS