Google Nexus 4 Android 4.2 Smartphone Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:55 AM
Today we're taking a look at Google's new Nexus 4 smartphone driven by Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. With a single unbroken piece of Gorilla Glass up front the Nexus 4 looks very clean and it makes a nice change from the buttons and branding you'll see on most other smartphones. It's also quite unique if you flip it over: the phone has a series of dots below the glass surface which reflect light randomly and give a very nice look to the device. On the other hand, you do need to be mindful that there is an awful lot of glass on the Nexus 4.

The screen is a 4.7" IPS panel with a resolution of 1280x768. It lacks some of the saturation of the AMOLED screen on the Galaxy Nexus but it's still among the best phone screens out there with good viewing angles and improved brightness.

Under the hood you'll find a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core processor clocked at 1.5GHz with Adreno 320 graphics and 2GB of RAM along with either 8GB or 16GB of storage and a 2100mAh battery...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:11 AM

I may like the Galaxy Note 2 but these also make a great impression. The one thing about the direct Google units is while being pretty much TOL hardware wise when there dropped is they upgrade way faster as well as bare upgrade OS wise way sooner than all the second party units. If you have a 2 year between upgrade wait like most your likely to see 3 OS's or versions anyway and almost guaranteed 2. One thing that totally gets me on the Nexus 4 is that it is LG. GOOGLE owns Motorola and there stock phone is an LG how does that make sense, and it is not even that I don't like LG, it is just that I wonder why really it is not a 100% stock unit. I mean if you own an smart phone OEM why use another party????

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:46 AM

"If you have a 2 year between upgrade wait like most your likely to see 3 OS's or versions anyway and almost guaranteed 2."

This to me is one of the greatest perks as well. I find it a little insulting (I don't expect many to agree with me) that you can purchase an expensive phone one year, and it can't be updated to the latest OS the next. That's kind of a problem when a lot of people aren't in the habit of updating their phones on a rarely basis. The upside this generation though is that 4.2 really doesn't add a whole lot like 4.1 did.

Also, this phone... I want it. Good review Austin!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

The lack of a micro SD card is disappointing, but the lack of LTE is a no go.  If you do anything other than make calls and text, I think LTE is essential in buying a phone in today's market.  However, LTE was actually discovered on this phone.  Apparently it lays dormant inside the phone, and will only work in the US on T-Mobile's LTE network once they get it operational.  So, if you really want this phone, you can always wait for T-Mobile get's their LTE band 4 off the ground and see how it all plays out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:40 PM

I have this phone and it is PLENTY fast on t-mobiles network as is. I see 5mbps down which is plenty for the things most people do on their phones. It's not the fastest... but that download speed is plenty to stream videos, music, etc.

The phone is awesome, I love it. No complaints. :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:06 PM

Actually I have always wondered whats the point of LTE. My data moves fast enough anyway at the most things take a couple of seconds to download most files for a smartphone are Kb mainly with some Mb but on the lower scale. The lack of a Micro SD I do not like as I use 32Gb Class 10 cards and already won them. Oh and I use data all the time as far as it goes. When I see that Verizon commercial with the different graphs I always imagine him saying with our LTE speed we can charge you for full data this much faster on Verizon :)

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

rapid1:

Actually I have always wondered whats the point of LTE. My data moves fast enough anyway at the most things take a couple of seconds to download most files for a smartphone are Kb mainly with some Mb but on the lower scale. The lack of a Micro SD I do not like as I use 32Gb Class 10 cards and already won them. Oh and I use data all the time as far as it goes. When I see that Verizon commercial with the different graphs I always imagine him saying with our LTE speed we can charge you for full data this much faster on Verizon :)

I live in Dallas, which is obviously a large city with a lot coverage and a lot of users.  Before I had LTE youtube videos and such loaded, but sometimes I'd have to wait for things to buffer.  Since getting LTE, everything loads faster then it does when I'm on wifi at the house.  Three times I week I probably turn off wifi and just use LTE in the house because it's that much faster.  It's just one of those things you don't really appreciate until you have it.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
dugwood2 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:20 PM

I agree with most of what you say. The lack of a microSD is absolutely a deal breaker for me. I download a lot of apps and some HD movies. 16 GB is not enough memory. BTW, most app/games on google play are well into the MB range and some are over a GB. "Asphalt 7" is over a Gig and a lot of the games I download have additional files that have to be downloaded after the initial install. Most of them are 200MB and up. Many have been over 700MB.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS