Netflix Signs Multi-Year Agreement with Walt Disney Studios

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:06 AM
Netflix went out and scored itself a multi-year licensing agreement that will make it the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run live-action and animated feature films from The Walt Disney Studios, the streaming company announced this week.

"Disney and Netflix have shared a long and mutually beneficial relationship and this deal will bring to our subscribers, in the first pay TV window, some of the highest-quality, most imaginative family films being made today," said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix. "It's a bold leap forward for Internet television and we are incredibly pleased and proud this iconic family brand is teaming with Netflix to make it happen."

Netflix Disney

This is a pretty significant development, in part because it's the first time Netflix has acquired rights to newer titles from a major Hollywood studio. However, the deal won't really flex its legs until 2016, which is when the partnership hits the ground running with theatrically released feature films being made available to Netflix subscribers in the so-called "pay TV window." Why not sooner? Many of the titles are tied up in an existing licensing deal with Starz, which expires in three years.

In the meantime, direct-to-video new releases will be made available on Netflix starting in 2013.

"With this cutting-edge agreement, we are thrilled to take our highly valued relationship with Netflix to the next level by adding Disney's premier films to their programming line-up," said Janice Marinelli, President, Disney-ABC Domestic Television. "Netflix continues to meet the demands of its subscribers in today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, and we are delighted that they will have much earlier access to our top-quality and entertaining slate."

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, though some unconfirmed reports say Netflix signed a three-year deal in which it will pay more than $300 million annually.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:59 AM

Damn. My 1 year old daughter is addicted to anything Mickey Mouse related, and my wife is addicted to any Disney movie. I've successfully boycotted Netflix since they jacked the pricing up, okay that's a lie, I just didn't want to keep paying for a service I had stopped using and it just happened to coincide with the price raise. With the addition of Disney though this is almost a must have for those of us with children running around.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:51 AM

Or those of us who happen to be man-children...

I'm guessing specifying Walt Disney Studios means this doesn't apply to Marvel and Lucasfilm movies??

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:37 PM

It's good to see Netflix expanding their access to titles for users since the selection for new things has been limited. Hopefully as Disney released films they'll release on Netflix as well.

Combine this with some hopes that Marvel, Star Wars, and Studio Ghibli films under disney could be released on Netflix in the future if this agreement goes well for both sides, Netflix would have one hell of a library.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:24 AM

I hope this applies to the Canadian Netflix too, my daughter would be so haaaaappy!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS