YouTube App Updated For iOS, Includes iPhone 5 And AirPlay Support

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,645
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:33 PM
When Apple announced that YouTube would need to build its own, standalone app for iOS 6 devices, we suspect the builders at Google panicked a bit. We sure would've. But just a few months later, the standalone iOS app is seeing its first major update since hitting the App Store, and it's a power-packed one. The new edition is tailored to work ideally on the new iPad and iPhone 5, and there's also the addition of AirPlay video streaming -- a major request that was lacking before. There's also a new YouTube channel guide, a refined search tool, new sharing features, and other general improvements. As always, it's free to download, and given that YouTube is seeing one billion mobile video views per day, chances are you'll be using it quite a bit.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:37 AM

Uh oh Google, YouTube and apple is deadly combination.

Watching Video's on mobile devices can be an incredibly unenjoyable experience and a downright hassle at times.

I'm so glad to see YouTube being optimized for mobile devices and particularly on the smartphone type that I use (iPhone 4s).

Free to download makes it even better as well and I'm willing to bet it won't be long before this is included and preinstalled on iPhones (other than the YouTube-ish app that's already there, not sure if this is from YouTube themselves) and it'll make its way onto Androids in the same manner eventually as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

I was actually watching a hardware review video last night, which I entered through facebook.  I'm assuming it took me to the mobile version of youtube, which worked just fine.  Then a few minutes later I went back and this time it took me to the actual youtube app, which was lacking a lot of features that the mobile site wasn't.  I hadn't even noticed that until last night, so this is some good news for me!  Here's to hoping they add a button to get back to the home screen rather then clicking to the back arrow 50 times!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270

I don't know what Apple was going for, but I'm glad they asked Google to make their own app because it is so much better than the original Apple Youtube app. The new app, even before the recent update was a lot easier to use and had almost all the features of a web-based Youtube. I just updated the app this morning and haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but sounds like it only got better.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 510
BurntChz replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:01 AM

I already have a web browser on my iPhone 5 and have no need for a YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, or countless other website 'apps'. If they have a mobile web page, chances are, it’s designed for phone access. I can’t stand software cluttering my phone, apps stealing resources, and the constant updating. I do have a few apps and some games that I like, but they have nothing to do with accessing content that is web-based. Using an app for a web-based tool is like a fish needing a bicycle.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:28 AM

While mobile websites generally offer more, they are often way slower than the app itself. Try using facebook on your browsers, then switch to the app, it's a noticeable difference in speed.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:15 PM

I haven't considered that before, I know I recently HAD to delete a bunch of website specific apps to free up some memory on my iPhone but there are certain cases with things like Video (Youtube) and instant messenger clients through things like Facebook work SO much better through a dedicated app than just the mobile version.

Otherwise, the web page designed for mobile access is preferable 

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 510
BurntChz replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:43 AM

I do see your point and agree that apps are usually faster, but I don't feel the trade-off is worth it for me. Speed is all relative, personally I don't mind the few seconds it takes to load a web site. I guess I'm just old-school. Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:23 PM

People don't say "Speed kills" for no reason so you have you're point too!
If anything preferring speed is more new school than old school since the current generation is the one with SSD's, Thunderbolt and other huge advances in the speed of computer components... but at the same time speeds are sort of always increasing haha.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS