NZXT Phantom 820 Full Tower Case Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,729
Points 1,209,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:33 AM

NZXT Phantom 820 Full Tower Case ReviewUnfortunately, many PC enthusiasts tend to skimp on their chassis when building a new system. After all, you can get a decent case with adequate cooling for next to nothing these days, making a splurge on a $200-plus, premium case seem unnecessary. However, as anyone who’s owned a truly high-end chassis can tell you, it's usually worth the extra money for superior construction along, not to mention the additional features, ample cooling options, and sometimes attractive lighting. In addition, a high-end case is something that can last through multiple upgrade cycles.

That’s how the NZXT Phantom 820 is positioned: it's an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type of chassis, offering all the options and extras you could hope for whether you’re rolling with the stock fans or want to put in a monster liquid cooling solution...

NZXT Phantom 820 Full Tower Case Review

• | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:52 PM

Wow, they even included the zip ties!  Talk about a full package!  

But seriously, I love the cable management on this thing.  My Antec only allows cables to ran through certain holes, this thing has holes galore along with the rubber that usually accompanies only water cooling.  Although, I typically go for performance over looks, and this thing just isn't the best performer.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

That case looks really classy. I was curious about the noise level with all those fans running, but seems like it wasn't an issue. I still think if I ever do a rebuild I'll go for a cheaper case, but some day I'd like to splurge on something like this.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

sackyhack:

That case looks really classy. I was curious about the noise level with all those fans running, but seems like it wasn't an issue. I still think if I ever do a rebuild I'll go for a cheaper case, but some day I'd like to splurge on something like this.

Never go cheap on a case, and never go cheap on a PSU.  4 years ago I spent the extra money and bought a quality case, and a quality PSU.  Since then I've swapped a lot of parts out as I found them, and have never had to even consider buying another case or PSU.  The extra money spent is a much larger savings in the longer run, rather than buying a new case and PSU every time you upgrade.  I'm just not sure this NXZT is it, i'd like to see a review where they moved some fans around and optimized the cooling.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 4:50 PM

Nzxt makes amazing cases, but i think i like the simple design of the 810 better and newegg was offering the 810 for only $130 as a black Friday deal.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 5:29 PM

If you like this case, but want something slightly smaller and less expensive check out it's little brother the Phantom 410. At only $99, it offers many of the same features, but is much more in reach.

Here's HotHardware's take on that case:

http://hothardware.com/News/NZXT-Takes-a-Shrink-Ray-to-Phantom-Chassis-Introduces-Smaller-Size-Phantom-410/

And to give you an idea of what kind of room it has take a look at my build with it:

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/64248.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 5:33 PM

I got one of these in Gun Metal for my wife's next build. Way overkill for her, but it's super quiet in person.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:47 PM

So was this a purchase that turned into a review, or a review that turned into a purchase? =)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:52 PM

Heh. Review was totally separate. It was more like me seeing early pics of the gun metal version and having to have one. I bought a handful of the original Phantoms and a couple 410s and have been really pleased with them. It's complete overkill for my wife, but since she married a tech geek, she's gonna get the goods once in a while. :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I have been seriously debating, if I had the money to build a new 5000$ rig, if I would build it in this based on the looks, or something from caselabs because of the pure amazingness...

In the end, if I wanted something that looked really nice, and not just black & elegant, I would go with this case, and no other.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:32 AM

This thing is seriously a behemoth at 32lbs.

I have an Antec 1200 for my case and that thing is incredibly large and heavy as well.

The most impressive about this case is either the variety of slots for cable management which can be a hassle and require people to buy more cables at specific lengths to have things look clean, but with the amount of routing options I'm pretty sure the same result could be achieved with the cables people have on hand.

The fact that they have ties and accessories labeled, bundled and organized, although it might seem like a small thing sets its self aside from others since every other case I've bought just has everything in a plastic bags.

Full ATX cases have many more options and are designed for configurations with extensive water cooling and multiple graphics cards but I think for most people the cases are just too huge for regular setups.

Or at least that's the way I've felt.

I absolutely love NZXT and the Phantom series but if I ever make a case upgrade it'll be to a mid tower like the Phantom 410

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Someone help my eyes out here.  Are those fans at the bottom right corner of the case? 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:09 PM

Yes they are. Looks to be a secondary radiator.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

hey i can't get my less working i see the wires but i can't find any places t plug them in me and my friend are new to computers we got every thing else working can u help?

Sad

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,765
Points 105,070
MembershipAdministrator

cookieninja:
hey i can't get my less workin

I assume that you mean the LED lights. It depends on what your LED Light's plugs look like. Some require an adapter and then plug into the power supply unit.

Post a picture of what your plugs look like,..........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 5:24 PM

Not bad. Must see in white.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 5:27 PM

Yep ! Defenitivly more classy in white !

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/images/nzxt820white.jpg

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,765
Points 105,070
MembershipAdministrator

I like the gunmetal color more than I do the white.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:12 PM

Nice case and review. I have never thought about looking at NZXT much. I've always been a Antec, Corsair, and Cooler Master case person myself. My current case is the Cooler Master HAF 932 and while I love it I have been looking at other cases and just might have to consider this one.

I only thing I dont like about this case and that is all cases for that matter is the door in the front. I have never cared for them but that is just my opinion. Other than that though it looks like a great case.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:56 PM

The gun-metal definitely has a sort of retro 1950's steel, flying machine type feel if you ask me and I think it's sick.

Initially I was a fan of white, after window-shopping and gazing at albums of Phantom 820's I got bought by gun-metal haha 

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS