But Can it Run Crysis 3?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,694
Points 1,207,450
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:39 PM

We’ve been tracking Crysis 3 for a while, from the trailer a few months ago to the alpha multiplayer preview. The game is available for preorder ($59.99 for PC and console versions, $79.99 for the “Digital Deluxe” edition), and it will launch in February.

Crytek has now listed the minimum system requirements for Crysis 3 on the game’s pre-launch page, and they’re as follows:

• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1Gb Video RAM
• Dual core CPU
• 2GB Memory (3GB on Vista)
• Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel):
Nvidia GTS 450
        Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (E6600)
• Example 2 (AMD):
       AMD Radeon HD5770
       AMD Athlon64 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+)

Those aren’t particularly stringent parameters by any means, but as we all know, “minimum requirements” rarely are. Crytek suggests upgrading to a quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM, with examples of CPU/GPU combinations that include Intel Core i5-750/NVIDIA GTX 560 and AMD Phenom II X4 805/AMD Radeon HD5870.

Crysis 3

Crysis 3

Crysis 3 image gallery (source: Crytek)

But if you really want to take advantage of Crysis 3’s graphical capabilities, you’ll need something on the order of a newer, higher-end quad-core CPU, 8GB of RAM, and possibly a CrossFire or SLI setup. A system with these specs is a little harder to come by than one with the minimum requirements obviously, but probably more common amongst HH readers.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

Seems reasonable. I just got a GTX 660, but my Q6600 is starting to show it's age, so hopefully it can still handle Crysis 3 at high settings. I'm pretty excited about it, but it's competing with Bioshock Infinite in February for my wallet.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 5,700
ForumsAdministrator

Those screenshots are freaking gorgeous. I sure hope the game doesn't let me down like Crysis 2 did, though I feel like I should load it up again to see if I was just too hard on it the first time around.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Sigh.  This article only depresses me.  I've been holding on to my GTX 285 until either the day it died, or the day I felt it was no longer adequate.  After some less than ideal performance in planetside 2, I scraped it up to a lot of particles moving around all over the place.  Now that Crysis 3 is telling me that I basically suck, it may be time to start donating every bodily fluid that's available for sale.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:45 PM

Wow, I didn't think any games except for Metro 2033 "required" a crossfire/sli set up to max out.

I'm not sure if that's the best idea since like the article said crossfire and SLI are hard to come by.

I figured a game maker would cater towards single graphics cards even to play in a maximized form but Crysis graphical reputation and enthusiast fan base must have made catering to the high end enthusiasts seem like a good idea...

On the same not, I wouldn't want a game to hold back from it's potential because hardware to max it out was just uncommon and not available... no need to stifle growth just because myself in particular couldn't take advantage of it, that would be just selfish haha.

Like RWilliams said, those screenshots really are jaw dropping, are those shots of gameplay on max setting, or cinematics? Either way they're so life like and realistic it's almost scary.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

OSunday:

I figured a game maker would cater towards single graphics cards even to play in a maximized form but Crysis graphical reputation and enthusiast fan base must have made catering to the high end enthusiasts seem like a good idea....

We're talking about Ubisoft here my man.  They set the bar for visual's... and for our GPU upgrade budget.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Well, looks like I'm a few years behind the minimum requirements...

So...NO! I cannot run Crysis! D:

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875

I feel your pain...I still can't run the original Crysis maxed out either. Hopefully I'll be building a new system by March so this will have to be one of my first games for the new system. I'll probably play through the first Crysis too. It'll be fun to hook up my computer to a hdtv and make current gen consoles look bad haha.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

Have you tried Crysis Warhead? IMO it looks better and runs a lot better. Crysis 2 is an entirely different beast as it was made to be manageable by consoles, but Warhead is still PC-focused but with much better coding that Crysis.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

sackyhack:

Have you tried Crysis Warhead? IMO it looks better and runs a lot better. Crysis 2 is an entirely different beast as it was made to be manageable by consoles, but Warhead is still PC-focused but with much better coding that Crysis.

This is exactly what I tried, I thought the game looked horrible.  I think i played it for about an hour before I turned it off and uninstalled.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
Mattos replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:05 AM

Sadly no I cannot run this beautiful looking game. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:30 AM

Mattos:

Sadly no I cannot run this beautiful looking game. 

I know quite a few people who can't run this game.  I really wonder how sales are going to do with such minimum requirements.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS