U.S. Election, iPhone 5, and Kardashian are Top Yahoo! Search Terms for 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,260
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:59 AM
Americans have an obsession with politics, smartphones, and celebrities, and apparently in that order. Or at least that's how it shook out on Yahoo! Search during an election year that saw President Barack Obama defeat GOP hopeful Mitt Romney in a hotly contested race.

"The United States is sometimes criticized for its citizens' apparent lack of interest in politics, at least beyond the celebrity angle. But 'elections' was this year's most-searched term on Yahoo!, even though the long campaign probably made a lot of people weary towards the end," Yahoo! said.

Only two other news events have ever captured the top spot in the dozen years Yahoo!'s been ranking its annual Top 10 searches. Those are the BP oil spill in 2010, and Michael Jackson's death  in 2009.

iPhone 5

Aside from the presidential race, American's were most interested in Apple's iPhone 5 device, which ranked No. 2 on Yahoo!'s list. The iPhone 5 is the first iPhone model to feature a 4-inch display, which is half-an-inch larger than every previous generation iPhone.

Kim Kardashian led all celebrity searches, just as she did on Bing, and ranked No. 3 on the list overall. The rest of the list is fleshed out with searches for (in order from No. 3 to No. 10) Kate Upton, Kate Middleton, Whitney Houston, Olympics, Political Polls, Lindsay Lohan, and Jennifer Lopez.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:37 PM

So in America, sex, electronics, and politics are what we are most interested in?  Yeah, that actually sounds about right.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

That's just...baffling. What do people hope to find out about "Kim Kardashian"?? It's not like she actually does anything interesting, other than her...ahem...video debut.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

sackyhack:

That's just...baffling. What do people hope to find out about "Kim Kardashian"?? It's not like she actually does anything interesting, other than her...ahem...video debut.

Don't beat around the bush, we're all searching for pictures of her booty.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

I don't know what you're talking about! *deletes browser history*

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:56 PM

...pending.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:52 PM

Kardashian and Bieber,two people with absolutely no talent that are making a lot of money.

Are you one of those contributing to their financial status?

A fool and their money....

I replaced my iphone with a Galaxy Note 2.

Bye Bye Apple

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

SmogHog:

Kardashian and Bieber,two people with absolutely no talent that are making a lot of money.

Are you one of those contributing to their financial status?

A fool and their money....

I replaced my iphone with a Galaxy Note 2.

Bye Bye Apple

I'll contribue to Kim's booty anyday.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS