Sharp Goes Large With 20" BIG PAD Multi-Touch Display

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,850
Points 1,115,000
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:49 AM
These days, it seems like tablet and panel makers are doing everything they can to be the best at being small. But Sharp, the company responsible for a 90" HDTV, has other plans. The LL-S201A "BIG PAD" was just revealed, and it's a 20" LCD-backlit screen that can handle ten-point multi-touch input, and ships with a stylus that measures 2mm at the tip. What's it for? Almost anything, evidently. You can use it as a digital sketchpad, a secondary touch-enabled monitor, or perhaps the world's wildest laptop if you have the right hacking skills. The unit boasts a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, and also touts a 3000:1 contrast ratio nad 5ms response time. You can feed it signal over HDMI or DisplayPort, and should ship in Japan early next year. We can hardly wait to see if any OEMs take this and integrate it into full-bodied products.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:38 PM

This sounds impressive, but until I see the price and battery life, I'm not getting my hopes up.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:48 PM

I don't think it has a battery . I believe it is intended to be a regular stationary monitor. However I do agree on waiting until they say the retail price.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

fat78:

I don't think it has a battery . I believe it is intended to be a regular stationary monitor. However I do agree on waiting until they say the retail price.

Ahh, you are correct.  I saw the "Worlds largest laptop" and thought they were saying it came with a built-in OS of some sort.  Crap.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Ray, that's a huge screen but I wouldn't worry about battery life. If a display of that size is used in the industrial or even the auto sector it would probably be plugged in most of the time. Or at least not far away form the charging station. Displays like these are used ion the medical profession. - http://www.kyocera-display.com/market_focus/medical.asp

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:08 PM

I'm confused, so this is a consumer ready product as a display but also potentially a component for other manufacturers to use?

I think it's really unique to create a product with such a variety of direct and indirect applications, it doesn't personally appeal to meal but it's still an interesting idea for a device. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:17 PM

OSunday:

I'm confused, so this is a consumer ready product as a display but also potentially a component for other manufacturers to use?

I think it's really unique to create a product with such a variety of direct and indirect applications, it doesn't personally appeal to meal but it's still an interesting idea for a device. 

Personally, I just don't see this being used in the medical field.  The resolution isn't high enough to be used in Imaging, and for lower quality flouroscopy images, you can just use a standard monitor.  Plus many OR's today use huge 60" flat screens that allow them to feed up to 8 different video sources into the one screen and split the images up as they please.  Now, this could be used on an overpriced, over fancy piece of equipment, but unless it comes at a low cost, and the screen can withstand hospital grade claners, I don't see it happening.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:54 PM

It's so massive I can't see it being used in consumer grade things either, and as an external or additional monitor it's price point will probably be much higher than actual monitors of larger sizes with the same specs.

I just don't understand what this thing is gonna be for except maybe in a few artsy design studios that take advantage of multi-touch for design purposes where the cost might be worth it? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:38 AM

fat78:

I agree and I guess it will be priced similar to Dell's 20" - 23" touchscreen 1920 x 1080 displays. the 23" is $600+ and If I recall the 20" was a little over $300.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:54 PM

23 inches for $600 and 20 inches for $300?!
Those are some ridiculous prices, at that same price point you could be getting high end 27 inch IPS panels 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS