Microsoft Updates Bing Maps with 121TB of Global Satellite Imagery

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 2:35 PM

The folks behind Bing Maps have been undeniably busy this past month: they've released 121 terabytes worth of satellite and Global Ortho imagery to its Windows 8 Maps app and Bing Maps, released a Hurricane Sandy-specific map app and have also launched a Facebook page where they'll show off some cool imagery each and every day.

Whenever a company like Microsoft or Google rolls out a boatload of fresh imagery, it's rarely easy to figure out what exactly has been updated. Well, that problem is non-existent with Bing Maps, because if you visit its "World Tour", you'll see yellow areas coat the entire map - these represent the areas that have been updated with the current release. Even better: you can click on "Select Releases" and go back in time. You'll be able to see what was updated last month, the month prior and so forth.

When using Bing Maps, you'll also be able to "Watch Slideshow", which brings you to a couple of notable updates. Oddly, sometimes Bing forgets to remove the yellow highlighting when zoomed all the way in, so if that happens to you, be sure to off-click the "Show Current Release Coverage" at the bottom.

It's been a long while since I last played with any maps software from Microsoft, but I have to say I'm really impressed with what the company's offering. Compared to Google Maps, I've found the current Bing Maps to be a bit more fluid to use (zooming, especially), and the ability to see exactly what's been updated since last time is hugely useful. Unfortunately, that latter functionality doesn't seem to be an option in the Maps app in Windows 8, so hopefully Microsoft will remedy that in the future.

For those who always want to be immersed in the Bing Maps experience, Microsoft has also updated its United States and Europe desktop themes which regularly update your desktop wallpaper based on an RSS feed. I gave the United States theme a quick test, and it worked like a charm.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll go and be addicted to Bing Maps for the next little while...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 139
Points 1,385

Meanwhile, in apple maps, the yellow areas indicate the inaccurate parts (or is it the accurate ones?).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 5:26 PM

I guess it will take a long while for them to live that one down, eh?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 5,260
ForumsAdministrator

I don't think that's really

that funny.

Sent from my iPhone's Maps app

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:06 PM

Good move for Microsoft, get some market attention while google and apple scramble to improve the iphone.  I'm just not sure the internet is ready to give Microsoft another try yet... unless you're my mother.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:02 PM

Didn't even know Bing had maps lol. I wonder if they'll make an iPhone app for it. Sounds silly, but they do have Photosynth for iPhone, one of the best panoramic photo apps I've ever used, and it's free.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Lina replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:02 PM

Bing Maps is provided by Nokia. The same as Nokia maps, or recently renamed as HERE maps, formerly knows as Naveteq. : )

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS