Nokia Commissions Orchestra to Develop Melodic Ringtones

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,015
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:11 AM
You might find this hard to believe (we certainly do), but obnoxious ringtones aren't the only ones that exist. If a study by Nokia is to be believed, classical music ringtones are actually the second most popular, followed by who-knows-what. It doesn't matter what came in third or fourth or fifth -- the point is, lots of mobile users enjoy the sound of classical music when their phones start ringing, so Nokia went out and hired an orchestra to give them what they want.

A few of the recordings are available now on Lumia 820 and 920 smartphones (the latter of which we recently reviewed), and they'll be available on upcoming models, The Telegraph reports. There will be 25 original pieces, or "miniatures," when all is said and done, all of which were composed by a handful of in-house sound designers at Nokia.

Nokia Lumia 920

Nokia also tapped into the talents of Epic Sound, an audio production company that assisted with the arrangement and some of the composing. The goal was to create a series of ringtones that don't sound sound distinctively like ringtones. That's hard to do when you're recording in a studio with synthesizers, which is typically how it's done.

If classical music isn't your cup of tea, there's still Geico's collection of ringtones.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:52 PM

That's impressive. The fact you can say your ring tone was made from a commissioned orchestra, specifically playing for a ring tone has some major bragging rights, and probably sounds pretty darn nice too.

What would take it up another notch is if there was a little bit of scientific research used for frequencies or sound patterns that garner human attention since I think classical music can be a bit relaxing compared to most other forms of music and end up being filtered to the background of your attention pretty easily.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

2nd most popular ringtones are classical?  I can't say I know a single person who uses a classical ringtone, unless it's a company phone, or someone who doesn't know how to change the default classical music rington, I just can't see this being true.

Either way, I can't stand people who have songs as ringtones.  It's obnoxious.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS