Ouya Development Consoles Shipping In December

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,702
Points 1,207,925
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:07 AM
When the team behind the Ouya open source gaming console was soliciting startup funds on Kickstarter, we all took notice, and despite asking for just $950,000 in cash, the group found itself flush with nearly $8.6 million in cash. Apparently the prospect of a $109 gaming console that was built specifically to be hacked and tweaked by basement geniuses everywhere and could maybe someday contend with the industry heavy hitters was just too hard for grassroots donors to resist.

Those donors who forked over enough cash to qualify are getting a slightly belated Christmas present: The Ouya team announced that it will be shipping its advance consoles this month. They’ll leave the factory on December 28th and be in developers’ hands a few days hence.

Ouya prototype
Ouya prototype

The team also said in a post on Kickstarter that the Ouya Development Kit (ODK) is currently in the testing phase, and users will be able to create accounts by December 25th.

Ouya still has a long ways to go before it can be considered a success, such as shipping an actual product, building a games library, etc., but it’s a very good sign that the consoles appear to be in the manufacturing process at present.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:49 AM

I'm really interested to see how this will turn out. I wonder how many game developers are going to support it, since it's pretty much designed to be hacked. You can somebody like Ubisoft or Activision isn't going anywhere near this. Then again there are a lot of really good free indie games out there, so maybe this could be a nice hotbed of homebrew activity.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

This is actually the first I've ever heard of this.  I can't imagine the potential it will have I dominate all over the market.  People enjoy being able to customize their things, and with a "open source" console, every change you want will be out there.  Now, I wonder if anyone else will follow suit?  PS3 was there for a while, but seems like as security flaws came up, they shut it down.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:04 PM

This is really interesting, I can't wait till it comes out. Even my less tech savvy friends have heard of this and are looking forward to it, which shows that if done correctly it could have a high chance of success and maybe even compete with some of the big 3 in consoles.

The Ouya reminds of me something like a raspberry bi more catered towards gaming.

Considering the success of make communities, platforms like arduino, and Raspberry Pi, I can't wait to see what innovative builder/hacker communities manage to do with this!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:59 PM

What kind of video did they end up putting in the thing? I'm thinking this is going to suck hard, though it could have been a decent steambox. No one wants to play angry bird style games on their TV. :(

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This would be so cool to have! I don't entirely understand what exactly it is for, but it sure looks interesting.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS