Flexible, Bendable Graphene Smartphones May Be Coming In 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:25 PM

Like many electronic devices, the majority of today's smartphones aren't made to survive abuse. With new display technologies that are currently in development however, smartphones of the future may be more durable. These new display technologies enable flexible displays that can be rolled, dropped, squished, and stepped on without damage.

Although the dream of having a smartphone that can withstand such abuse may seem far-off, flexible display technology has been in development for a while now. We've seen prototypes at gadget shows, heard and seen demonstrations on various sites, and dreamed of the day when we can have our own flexible smartphone. New rumors suggest our dream may not be too far from reality. In fact, it's possible we could see the launch of the first flexible phone sometime next year.

Numerous manufacturers are working on creating a flexible smartphone, including LG, Philips, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, and Nokia.  Reports suggest Samsung may be the first to actually deliver such a device, though an exact timeframe has not been announced.

Samsung will likely use flexible OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology in its flexible smartphones. According to a Samsung spokesperson, the displays used in the company's flexible smartphones will be "foldable, rollable, wearable and more, [and] will allow for a high degree of durability through their use of a plastic substrate that is thinner, lighter and more flexible than… conventional LCD technology."

The concept of creating flexible electronics using a flexible display and flexible plastic has been around since the 1960s. In 2005, Philips showed off a prototype of a rollable display. A few years later, Amazon incorporated e-ink flexible displays into its first Kindle e-reader. Since the components beneath Amazon's first-generation Kindle were rigid, most people didn't realize the device had a plastic-non-rigid screen.

Due to cost and other reasons, most of the e-ink displays used in devices today are hidden behind a rigid glass screen. In order to offer a finished product that is flexible, both the optical frontplane as well as the backplane which contains the transistors must be made of a flexible material. In addition, the device's battery, shell, touchscreen, and other components must also be flexible.

The flexible OLED technology Samsung is using isn't the only option on the market. Other flexible display technologies are also in the works. Prof Andrea Ferrari from Cambridge University is currently working on bendable displays that use graphene. Graphene is a sheet of carbon that's one atom thick. This substance is strong, transparent, lightweight, and flexible, which makes it perfect for use in electronics. In theory, graphene could be used to make displays, surfaces, and batteries used in electronic devices.

Regardless of which flexible display technologies become the standard, it's exciting to see progress being made in this field. What's even more exciting is the possibility that Samsung or another company could actually launch a flexible device in the not-too-distant future.

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 325
Samar replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:05 PM

just wondering ..how far can they push it...can it be mushed like a paper and then rearranged back again.. :)..someday may be.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:39 PM

Pretty wild, isn't it? I think it would help big time in conforming to tight spaces too.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:51 PM

I don't know about you guys, but that stuff just looks kinda... Nasty...

I don't know what it is but it just really makes me not like it. I wouldn't like the idea of my phone bending all around and contorting into different shapes...

It's like those bendable glasses, no matter how many times I see them get bent out of shape, (being a glasses wearer myself) It just gives me the jitters.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925

Sounds cool ! I'd really like to have a big (27" - 30") monitor made out of this stuff - imagine being able to fold it into a little package and take it with you !...

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:11 PM

I'm just thinking about the times when I'm going to an important event and want to get all the bulky items out of my pocket.  How cool would be if you could just wrap your phone around your wrist, and wear it as a watch/braclet.  Especially if these things were waterproof, no more fears of jumping in the lake with your phone in your pocket!

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:20 AM

While it's a cool idea, I'd imagine it would be a challenge to have devices this flexible while still maintaining sufficient rigidity to actually be functional as phones. It would be extremely irritating to try to talk on a phone that keeps collapsing in my hand, or keeps folding back on itself whenever I try to use the touch-screen.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS