Next Generation Xbox 720 Coming In Time For 2013 Holiday Season

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:00 PM
Nintendo's Wii U jumped out to a fast start, selling 400,000 units during its first week of sales. It's become difficult to find the console in stock anywhere, that is unless you're willing to pay inflated prices on eBay or Craigslist. However, it's also the only new generation console in town, but for how long?. There have been plenty of rumors and speculation surrounding Microsoft's next Xbox console, codenamed Durango, and the timeframe we keep hearing is that it will launch towards the end of next year.

Bloomberg reiterated that launch goal today, saying that "people familiar with the company's plans" have indicated Microsoft is aiming to have Durango on store shelves in time for the holiday shopping season in 2013.

Xbox Controller

The people sourcing that info declined to identify themselves because the product roadmap is still confidential at this point (and one of the worst kept secrets on the web), but said you can expect to see availability around Thanksgiving.
One of the sources added that Microsoft hasn't yet decided whether it will unveil its next Xbox console at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in June 2013 or dedicate an entire event to the launch. Previous rumors suggested E3 as a likely target.

In the meantime, the Xbox 360 continues to rack up sales. Microsoft actually led all console sales in the U.S. for the past 22 months (through October), according to data from The NPD Group, though game hardware sales have been declining in general. Despite being a 6-year-old console, Microsoft has been able to maintain consumer interest by redesigning the chassis a couple of times, offering themed consoles (like the Halo 4 bundle), adding more storage options, and of course by launching the Kinect motion control sensor.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:59 PM

Hope they get their crap together and avoid another RRoD-like fiasco.  I know all new hardware will have a bumpy start, but that was one of the most spactacular screwups I've ever witnessed in gaming.  Only PS3's ridiculous E3 debute made me forget about it (GIANT ENEMY CRAB!).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:09 PM

sackyhack:

Hope they get their crap together and avoid another RRoD-like fiasco.  I know all new hardware will have a bumpy start, but that was one of the most spactacular screwups I've ever witnessed in gaming.  Only PS3's ridiculous E3 debute made me forget about it (GIANT ENEMY CRAB!).

Well from what I read a few months ago, these are supposed to me customizable.  So you can buy a low end xbox, and eventually replace the video card, upgrade the memory, etc. and then have yourself a legitimate high end x-box.  Assuming those rumors are factual, I can only imagine the issues will increase.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:37 PM

Hmm I find that unlikely that the new xbox would be customizable.. the cost of implementing that would be pretty high compared to making a single all in one unit, and all consoles have had integrated processors and gpu's so that would be a really big leap away from the trend.

I don't think the console will be released this year, I think next year is a much better possibility. Unless their rushing it to compete with (and probably destroy) the WiiU then I'm gonna bet on next year. But a rushed product for that purpose could result in similar things to Microsofts RROD.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:39 PM

I think I Totally misunderstood things with that previous comment... I thought it meant 2013 Holiday season as in THIS year not the next -______-

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:14 PM

My xbox has become pretty much used for media purposes the past few months, i much prefer gaming on my computer, and now that i won the zotac htpc i hardly play my xbox except for a few console only games.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:46 PM

If they did have customizable Xbox's... I would laugh my butt off...

It would just make the Xbox 12 year olds cry harder, and moan because Mommy and Daddy didn't get them the BEST Xbox.

It would just create more bugs though. Certain hardware would run hotter, others wouldn't, some hardware may have trouble with certain games, all that kind of BS..

I'm looking forward to the next gen xbox just so I can see a teardown. Other than that, I'll stick to upgrading this really, REALLY old computer I have been upgrading for a few months, and plays better than xbox.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:31 AM

I went through 1 xbox and 3 xbox 360s - they just kept dying. I gave up on them for years until recently. I'm not much of a gamer but was interested in Minecraft. Unfortunately, I am terrible at computer game controls so I went out and bought a new xbox just for Minecraft lol Ya I know, silly right.. but that game is so addicting! I still hope to get into the pc version since it has way more added to it and more customizing options like skins and texture packs, but for now I have to stick with xbox. So far I haven't had any problems with it at all. Hopefully when they come out with a new one they will have worked out all the hardware issues before the release date.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:05 PM

Having had two 360's with the RROD, and an original XBox (1) with the defective Phillips DVD problem, I will definitely not be buying first gen MS hardware this time around.

I'd hold out for the PS4, but Sony's on my @%#!list for removing OtherOS. I may skip this gen entirely, unless Valve surprises us with the SteamBox.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 624
Points 5,125

Man thats pretty unlucky 3vi1, I've had my PS3 die 3 times, first time for the bluray player, then the psu. 3rd time it happened again I packed it away because i was over it. All just out of warranty.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:58 PM

I've fixed a variety of both consoles, repairing red rings of death and yellow lights of death was like my part time profession while I was in high school and they were all initial release consoles. The later ones were tweaked and solved a lot of the earlier problems. I came to know PS3's and Xbox 360's inside and out

...What was even worse was when friends would bring me consoles that had already been "fixed" once by microsoft and consisted of things like paper cards re-orienting or "focusing" air flow to key areas, attached to the already existing shroud by tape.

But I don't think everyone should be so weary of the next gen Xbox, Microsoft is bound to have learned from their mistakes since their initial launch of the 360 had so many horror stories and failures. The cost of them repeating a folly like that again would destroy the trust of Xbox gamers and their desire to buy consoles from the first batch which would make their launch sales look terrible too. I doubt a huge successful corporation would risk making the same major mistake like that twice.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS