Officially got into the Steam for Linux beta

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:19 PM

I just have one thing to say:  Serious Sam: BFE is intense.

Edit:  Second thing to say is - TF2 runs very fast and smooth, but I suck soooooo bad at that game.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 6:55 PM

OpenGL has its benefits.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:27 PM

I don't run linux, but I'm curious.  What's the Steam library like?  Is it just the Steam program itself that got ported along with previous linux ports of games, or is Valve working on making more games linux compatible too?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:35 PM

sackyhack:

I don't run linux, but I'm curious.  What's the Steam library like?  Is it just the Steam program itself that got ported along with previous linux ports of games, or is Valve working on making more games linux compatible too?

Valve's working on porting their existing titles and will be releasing new titles on Linux at the same time as they are released on other platforms.  So far they've been concentrating on TF2 (and TF2 beta) for the beta.  But, L4D2 has also been shown previously.

No doubt they're using TF2 to work out all the bugs with the latest version of the Source engine, then the other games will all get Linux support as they are updated to this version (like when Valve previously updated the games to the Orange Box revision of the engine, adding PS3, 360, and multiprocessor support).

In addition to the Valve titles, any other titles you own that have Linux support will show up in the library (it's great that you don't have to rebuy all your PC games).  When I started it up, I found 16 other games that I owned already in my list.  I know of some Steam games that I own that do have Linux versions but are not yet in the list - so it looks like Valve's still working with some vendors to get their Linux versions added.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:41 PM

This gave me a little idea... I hadn't thought of it but a HotHardware gaming group on steam might be pretty coo, even if this is a website dedicated primarily to hardware!

Anyone else? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:07 PM

I was reading the forums, and currently - in the beta - there are about 25 games available total.  No word on how long the beta will go, or which games are still in the pipeline, but I would expect the final numbers to look respectable up next to what's out there for the Mac today..

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS