Apple’s Redesigned iTunes 11, Now Playing On A Device Near You

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:36 PM
If you’ve been biting your nails, wondering whether Apple would meet its self-imposed deadline of November for the release of its iTunes 11, you can cut it out now, for Pete’s sake. Apple beat the bell by a day, putting the download on its website along with plenty of information about the software’s overhaul.

The revamp hits about every major feature of iTunes. It’s not surprising that iCloud features get a boost, given the popularity of cloud storage right now. But the venerable Player gets a facelift, and so does the Store. And, according to Apple, iTunes just generally runs faster.

Got iTunes? Get The Update To 11.

One feature that caught our attention is the Preview History, which is meant to help you track down the song you liked from all the other ones you tried but didn’t. iTunes now also remembers where you stopped watching a movie or listening to an audiobook when you switch from say, your iPhone to your iPad. Interestingly, Apple gave the library interface some big tweaks. The interface makes better use of cover art, and albums expand to show you all of the songs.

Whether you use iTunes mostly on your iOS device or a computer, you’re going to see big changes in the software. You can download the update and check out the new features at Apple’s website.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:12 PM

Love my iPhone but I hate iTunes so much. It has so many arbitrary restrictions, like one device per pc unless you reformat said device. And song transport just stopped working for some reason without any errors. It simply would not let me drop a new song into my iPhone. I ended up switching to a free 3rd party software, and even though it's not as pretty, it's so much more intuitive.

I'll give this one a try and see if it's any better.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:59 PM

Man, I think you hit it on the nail there Sacky. Itunes is in no way intuitive. I don't understand how people even use it. We got my mom and ipod (nano I think it was) a few years ago. It sat on her desk for 2 years before a family friend showed her how to put songs on it.

I'm curious to see if this update makes any difference in the pain itunes usually gives me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:25 PM

I used to use iTunes long ago, but I switched to 3rd party music stores. When Apple started suing everyone and their dog over very obvious software and design patents, I decided I was no longer going to buy anything from them.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:45 PM

Count me among those who have a couple of apple devices while I quite like, but who thinks iTunes is worse than anal-cancer of the mouth! Even this 'new' version is still a dreadful; pile of clashing UI elements and confusing settings and sync options.

MS did a far better job years ago with their Zune software, something I still use to this day.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 6:26 PM

I just installed iTunes 11, after having not used it to any real degree for the past couple of years, and I have to say I'm rather impressed by it. It's much more intuitive than before, and WAY smoother to use. I did encounter a couple of odd bugs, but that doesn't surprise me with a new launch. I still have no real reason to use iTunes, but if it offered lossless tunes I'd have one.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:43 PM

iTunes has the appeal of "Apple friendly", and the AAC codec but it has a hassle and a lot of restrictions, I've personally used MediaMonkey for my go to Mediaplayer since it can sync to a plethora of devices and supports a ton of audio codecs too

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS