Stories of Failure.

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:08 PM

Anyone got any funny stories related to their failed attempt at a PC build/Upgrade?

When I had the time to play in competition's I decided the night before the championship match that I was going to replace the fan on my GPU, as I was having artifacts for about a month due to some high temp's.  

Not knowing what I was doing, I removed the stock fan from the GPU, and placed the aftermarket fan on my GPU and screwed it back on.  (Notice anything I missed yet?)

So I booted up my computer, checked my temp's and to my amazement it was reading over 100 degree Celsius.  Man, I must have bumped the temp sensor or something right?  Seconds later ,my monitor goes black.  Then it dawns on me, I never placed any thermal paste on the aftermarket cooler.  

Needless to say, I had to explain to my wife why I needed to run to best buy and overpay for a graphics card.  

In the end, I learned my lesson, and went on to win the championship match that night!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:29 PM

I did an overhaul of my rig a year ago.  I'm not that experienced, so I was very careful and meticulous.  I took my time, double and triple checked all the connections.  Hit power button and...nothing.  I panicked, took everything out, reconnected, still nothing.  Then I checked the back by chance and realized my PSU's switch was still set to off.  DERP!  Turned it on and everything worked fine.

Me when I turned it on the first time:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:40 PM

Haha, I did a similar thing (noted in another thread earlier).  Was hooking setting a media PC in the living room and spent 4 hours troubleshooting why I had no display.  After taking it all apart and reassembling it, I decided to double check my hdmi cable, and sure enough it wasn't pushed in all the way.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:16 PM

LOL at the Airplane pic, SackyHack.  I look like that every time I build a new rig.  I can write software in my sleep, but the way a person can *permanently* fry very expensive hardware scares the hell out of me.  :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

Yeah, "static" always looms over my head like the grim reaper, especially since wherever I live tends to be carpeted.  I've been doing something I read about years ago, but I guess I never checked it to see if it's actually right.  I keep my PC plugged in with PSU switch off, and occasionally touch the PSU.  I think this is supposed to "ground" me.  Does that sound right or have I been building PCs like a crazy-person this whole time??

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

sackyhack:

Yeah, "static" always looms over my head like the grim reaper, especially since wherever I live tends to be carpeted.  I've been doing something I read about years ago, but I guess I never checked it to see if it's actually right.  I keep my PC plugged in with PSU switch off, and occasionally touch the PSU.  I think this is supposed to "ground" me.  Does that sound right or have I been building PCs like a crazy-person this whole time??

Ehhh... if it's still plugged in, and the capacitors aren't discharged this isnt' doing anything for you.  You should unplug the power cord, hold your power button for a few seconds (this discharges your capacitors) and then touch the unpainted metal portion on your case to ground yourself. 

That's what you're supposed to do, I just hold the power button down and go to town.  I've worked on computers and medical equipment my whole life and never had anything get damaged from static.

We actually had an auditor in the office last week and he asked me if we used any sort of ESD (electro static discharge) devices.  I said no, because we test the computers after installation, he gave me that... you just really screwed up look and I thought we were about to forced to implement new policies, buy ESD gear, etc.  Well, come to find out, it's not a requirement when it comes to ISO certifications.  Apparently ESD gear is mainly there so your company doesn't lose money due to you damaging things. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:10 PM

Static electricity scares the hell out of me too... when I made my first build, an electrostatic mat was included because of how worried I was about frying components. (I ended up taking that off since I was on an even tighter budget for things than I am now but you get the point)

Haha my first build horror story was when I put my computer together, plugged it in and turned it on only to have all the lights in my room go off.
I thought I had fried and destroyed everything electronic in my room somehow. It turns out that the 1000w Antec PSU combined with every other electronic plugged into the room my brother and I shared just overloaded the circuit breaker and flipped it off.

I tried using it without anything else plugged in on the same circuit and even tried using a super long extension chord down to another area of the house that was on a different breaker, and the one that was used for appliances to try and get it to work and eventually I found one that didn't have enough load on it to be able to power the computer and not flip. I can't figure out why the computer was flipping the switch, although it was a 1000w psu, the hardware it was using couldn't have been using more than 400w-500w.

@Dorkstar
Do you happen to know how effective those ESD bracelets are that you ground yourself to the case with when opening up electronics?
If what determines ESD damage is the charge in the capacitors it seems like that would be useless, but when I was taking my class for an A+ cert the ESD bracelet was an almighty magical and protective device 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,382
Points 31,045
rrplay replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:13 AM

3vi1:
  LOL at the Airplane pic, SackyHack.  I look like that every time I build a new rig.  I can write software in my sleep, but the way a person can *permanently* fry very expensive hardware scares the hell out of me.  :) 

lol at the pc sackyhack    seems to be me on the inside while calibrating those bright and contrast 'pots' on the old CRT monitors years ago.

@3vi1   heck ya man   pretty sure some folks around here can recall one of your infamous Oh Noooo !   socket adventures  LOL  Surprise

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:22 AM

Do you happen to know how effective those ESD bracelets are that you ground yourself to the case with when opening up electronics?

If what determines ESD damage is the charge in the capacitors it seems like that would be useless, but when I was taking my class for an A+ cert the ESD bracelet was an almighty magical and protective device 

Well obviously they are effective, because they are grounding your body.  You shouldn't have any static energy buildup if you're grounded, it has somewhere to go (the path of least resistance).  But honestly, we've always had them in every shop i've ever been in, and we've never used them.  I've worked on million dollar pieces of equipment, and we don't wear them.  I always kind of thing of static electricity in the same manner as I think of cell phone radiation.  Sure it probably exist, but the chances of causing any damage is so low it's not even worth thinking about.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:28 PM

Haha damn that is one heck of a risk, I feel like wearing the bracelet is worth it when dealing with millions of dollars of equipment but I can sort of see where you're coming from. I've never had any issues with ESD with anything I've ever opened up and worked on the internals with either.

I feel like not using one or being conscious of the possibility will end up making Karma come back to bite me and have me fry the heck out of something really valuable 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

I've fried more things with a screwdriver, then I've ever even heard of static damaging items.  Why they bought us conductive screwdrivers I'll never understand.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:14 PM

Wait what, with a screw driver?

What is any possible advantage to a conductive screw driver?

Also do you know anything about magnetized screw drivers causing damage?
I know their magnetism is pretty minimal but I've always just been curious as to whether this could mess with a hard drive or some other computer component 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS