Microsoft Asks "Have You Been Scroogled?"

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,355
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:09 PM

One of the popular sayings Google adopted early on was "Don't be evil." However, with a new initiative with Google Shopping, Microsoft feels the company is being less than honest. It's likely some consumers will agree.

Instead of displaying truly relevant search results when people search for a product using Google Shopping, the company is now displaying a list of targeted ads that are ranked by bid price (in other words, how much an advertiser will pay for the spot).

Microsoft has been quick to pick up on this practice and has created a site called Scroogled to spread the word about Google's practices and highlight how Microsoft's search engine, Bing, provides "honest" search results.  

To be fair, Google does disclose the practice on its shopping site, but only if you click the "Why these products?" link. When you do, you'll see a message which states: "Products and offers that match your query. Google is compensated by these merchants. Payment is one of several factors used to rank these results."

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 3:13 PM

Google ceased being honest and 'not evil' many years ago.

To be expected really, they are an advertising company after all, and ALL of their products and services are put out there for the sole purpose of increasing their ad revenue.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:19 PM

Funny how Microsoft is quick to point out what Google is doing, but fails to mention that it's the exact same practice the Bing has *always* done, except MS didn't bother with disclosure.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:06 PM

I always wondered why when I searched for a product on Google shopping looking for a good deal I either got stuff equivalent to retail prices or if I ordered by price, I'd get semi related products with values under a dollar that weren't what I was looking for at all but this explains it..

I've honestly never been a fan of Bing but I might give it a shot to avoid getting scroogled haha

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Nothing ticks me off more about google, than stuff like this. But then again, they aren't the only ones that have done it. I'm absolutely sure that microsoft has done something of the like many, MANY times before.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 320

I would switch to Bing, but without a "Narrow by Date" feature for ALL it's searches, I simply cannot use it. Because every time I need to find something recent I'm forced back to Google.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:07 PM

Why is this an issue?  It's no different than paying for a billboard next to a highway versus paying for a billboard on a farm road.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:44 PM

...pending.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS