First Gaming Computer Build

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:01 PM

Hello,

I have a $600-$800 budget. My current gaming laptop just died on me and wont start back up, therefore i am building my own desktop.

I am new to this and i don't fully know what I'm doing yet, so i was hoping for your help. I was thinking maybe going with Intel Motherboard and Intel Processor. I was also thinking of going with the Corsair Obsidian Series 650D case. Unless you have any other suggestions. I'm not worried about a surround sound, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. I need a computer that can run World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Battlefield, League of Legends, etc.

Thank you.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:52 PM

It sounds like you may have a few things laying around that you can use.  On a budget of $600, you're going to be squeezing every penny out of that if you plan on playing something like Battlefield.

I don't think hothardware has a like article, so I'll send you where I typically go for information.  (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Head over to Tom's Hardware and check out their charts for GPU's and CPU's.  There you can get an idea of what you want/need. 

CPU's based on 3dMark11 overall score :  http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-04-3DMark11,3157.html 

Keep in mind if you're looking at a decent mid-grade cpu.  You're talking $150 for the CPU, Case $179 for the 650d, Motherboard $150, $50 for RAM, $100 for a PSU.

So were already at $629, and haven't gotten a GPU, any sort of media drives.

While I'll completely believe in a budget build, I also believe in buying good quality items that will last you through a few builds.  Don't go cheap on your Case, and don't go cheap on your power supply.  Everything else will simply be replaced within 3-5 years, so do what you will with that. 

You really should do it all on your own, it's not hard, but the research you put into your build is important.  Know what you're getting, and know what use it's going to have later down the road when you want to upgrade (I.E. SLI/Crossfire support on your motherboard, Socket type of your CPU, etc)

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:52 PM

I went to PCPartPicker to build my own PC. Its a little over my budget, so if anyone has any other suggestion for me to change that will give me better performance for less price better performance for the same price, let me know.

This is what i came up with 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q2rj

CPU - AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Corsair CWCH50-1 Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage - Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Video Card - MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card

Case - Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply - SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:21 AM

Everything looks rather solid there.  The only thing i'd change in that build is the liquid CPU cooler.  Unless you plan on overclocking your CPU, you can always run it with the stock fan.  It's nice to get those temperatures as low as you can, but it's not necessary to buy an aftermarket fan.  

Other thoughts:

SSD - At 60GB you are basically only going to be able to load your operating system on this drive.  While that's going to be nice for booting up, games that require a lot of loading wont benefit from this.  If you can squeeze it out (check around for deals, they are very common on SSD's right now) i'd get a 128GB SSD.  That way you can keep a few games on there that benefit from an SSD. 

OS- Windows 7 Home... ehhh.  You just lose so many features that I believe are necessary.  If you can, upgrade to ultimate.  (Last I checked, newegg was cheaper on windows than the microsoft store was)

GPU- While this is a directx 11 card, and will be able to play the games you want it to play, the days of this cards decline are coming up fast.  For a few more bucks, it would be worth it to go with a HD 7850, that should keep you current for a good 1-2 years longer than the 7770 would, assuming you plan on playing some higher demanding games (crysis 2, farcry 3, etc.).  

Your motherboard supports dual channel, so having 2 sticks at 4gb each is perfect.

I don't keep up with AMD processors, I made the switch to intel back in 2009 and haven't seen AMD impress me enough to switch back yet.  But for budget builds they seem to be the better choice. 

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:58 PM

Thank you for the advice.

About the SSD, i decided im not going to get one right now. Just gonna go with the HDD.

I'm getting WIN7 Home because it's the cheapest.

I got a new build with some help from someome. Let me know.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9ou

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:23 PM

Looks good, but your mother board supports up to DD3 1866 (even higher with overclocking), no use in getting 1600 unless you just want to save a few bucks.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:33 PM

I'm trying to save money. I will end up upgrading in the future, this is just temporary.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:53 PM

That's definitely a solid looking entry build man!

The only thing I would consider is that if you want to future proof potential processor upgrades, I'd go with an Intel board and CPU, the slight price bump up will be worth it in the long run. I got an AMD cpu because I was on a really tight budget for my first build and it ended up feeling that way when I started pushing the limits of that rig.

And if you're set with AMD (still a solid choice) definitely get up to that 1866mhz RAM, it'll help future proof any RAM upgrades as well since an upgrade with 1600mhz RAM would only be compatible to run along side another couple stick of 1600mhz 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:32 PM

There's no need for him to get an intel CPU, there really aren't any socket lga 1155 CPUs that are within his budget without cutting back on a lot.  I do agree that he should go with the 1866 ram instead, but he's sounding like he's already reached the point of feeling guilty for spending so much.

If I get some time tomorrow at work (which I usually do) ill toss around a few build ideas to give you some other options.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:40 PM

@O Sunday, I was going to go with Intel, but doing so bumped the price up to $1,000 which is why im going with AMD for the time being.

@Dorkstar, Thank you, I appreciate it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:05 PM

cranow12:

@O Sunday, I was going to go with Intel, but doing so bumped the price up to $1,000 which is why im going with AMD for the time being.

@Dorkstar, Thank you, I appreciate it.

My intention was to build you a intel build and see what we could do with it.  But after my research into the new AMD FX series, I decided not to.

After reading up on that FX-8320, you are getting a heck of a deal on that.  The cost per performance ratio is insane, plus AMD has promised to keep the that socket line (AM3+) going for a while, so not only are you getting a good cpu, you can most likely upgrade it later and keep the same motherboard.

I made a few changes, and manage to save you a few dollars while doing it, while also improving the build:

Found a cheaper from on the FX-8320 @ $159.99 

CPU - FX-8320 http://microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor - $159.99

Cooler - same  @ $19.99

Mobo - same @ $64.99

Ram - DDR3-1866 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 $29.00

Video card - same @ $239.99

Case - Don't go with what you're looking at.  Everything I've read about this case says it's garbage.

Check these out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009 $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146076 $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061 $39.99 (personally like this one the most, it has cable routing behind the motherboard, which will not only make things look better, but will help with airflow)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153 $49.99 (while more expensive, all the other cases came with only one fan, this one has 3)

PSU: Same @ $42.99 - take note however, that there is only 1 6+2 connector on this PSU.  You will not be able to power another video card without upgrading your PSU.

Optical drive - Same @ $17.89 (How often do we even use these damn things anymore)

Windows- Same @ $91.99 (I still think you should try to get ultimate, or a just go with windows 8.  After all we'll all eventually be pushed into windows 8)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:39 PM

That's some good advice on the W8, I just read an article about their Windows Blue upgrade plan which means W8 is going to become the OS with the most focused and dedicated support and with an annual update cycle similar to how OSX currently does it.

Hell of a job on the saves Dorkstar! You can always count on microcenter haha

As far as cases... I hate to sound like a broken tape recorder, but anything NZXT is usually great, and you can always buy more fans!

I wouldn't worry about the power supply, running multiple graphics cards works best with higher end PSU's and Motherboards anyways which would almost be a complete rebuild from this so that PSU will more than do the job for what it seems like his needs are. And that's just on the Hardware side, Crossfire and SLI's compatibility with games is sketchy and a hassle too 

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360
cranow12 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:04 PM

Windows - I decided to go with Win8 since its the most recent and the same price as Win7.

PSU - I know, i will upgrade that in the future when i get the money to.

RAM - It's $49.99, but it only highers the price by $5 so that's fine.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qk9c

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:54 PM

This is totally a personal request, but when you get everything together, it would be pretty awesome to take a couple pictures (and maybe even a little build log or vid?) to share with HotHardware when you're done!

Also don't forget myself and anyone else here are more than happy to help with the troubleshooting and installation process, this site has helped me out more than a few times and I've been looking forward to being able to return the favor! 

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 360

I will. Probably Pictures, but it wouldn't be until sometime mid next month or later.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. If i ever need help, I'm for sure coming to HotHardware.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:59 AM

Glad we could help man.  We'll help you troubleshoot when you get all the parts in ;)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS