Game Publisher THQ Declares Wii U Processor Is “Horribly Slow”

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,360
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:17 PM
Nintendo is the first of the 'big three' console makers to launch next generation hardware, but the Wii U has already found some criticism among game developers as an underpowered machine. Specifically, 4A Games' chief technical officer (CTO) Oles Shiskovtsov told NowGamer that the "Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU," citing that as the reason the platform will not see Metro: Last Light.

Shiskovtov's comments may have caught THQ off guard. The game publisher almost immediately went into full damage control.

"I think there was one comment made by Oles the programmer -- the guy who build the engine," THQ's Huw Beynon, who works as a full time representative of 4A Games, told Eurogamer. "It's a very CPU intensive game. I think it's been verified by plenty of other sources, including your own Digital Foundry guys, that the CPU on Wii U on the face of it isn't as fast as some of the other consoles out there."

Wii U Controller

Beynon defended the Wii U, saying that "lots of developers" are able to find ways around the underpowered CPU, adding that he's frustrated by "the way the story's been spun out."

Metro: Last Light

"We could probably get Metro to run on an iPad if we wanted, or on pretty much anything," Beynon said. "Just as in the same way that between PC and current console versions there are some compromises that need to be made in certain places and we strive to get the very best performance that we can from any platform we release it on."

Beynon's point is well taken, but at the same time, it's not very comforting that a game developer is talking about having to make compromises on new hardware in order to get the same performance as consoles that have been out for six years.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 205
bry2k2 replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:28 PM

That game runs horribly slow on a very fast PC, aka a i7 920 with a 6950 in CF. Dude needs to learn how to program.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,628
Points 55,220
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:37 PM

No question about it, the Metro franchise has always been a resource hog. HH benchmark labs can attest to that!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:43 PM

Yeah, as much as I'm baffled by Nintendo's WiiU, I gotta agree with bry2k2. I'm all for future-proofing your games but Metro 2033 was just a monster. Maybe they could redirect some of the resources they spend on making a beefy engine elsewhere, like the art department. I remember meeting Khan and thinking "WOW THIS GUY IS BADASS!", and then later I saw several NPCs that looked identical to him, all at 20 fps...Kinda ruined the immersion in a way no amount of neat shading and particle effects could repair.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Agreed, if they could learn to optimise could, that could help a lot.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS