Citing Issues of "Misunderstanding and Frustration", Mozilla Pulls Plug on 64-bit Firefox

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:33 PM

Thanks in part to the lack of stability and plugin support, Mozilla's Engineering Manager Benjamin Smedberg has requested that developers stop building 64-bit versions of Firefox. If the idea of a 64-bit Firefox sounds strange, it's likely because it's not something Mozilla ever promoted. Instead, it was left up to the user to seek out a specific build on the FTP, which most of course never do. In all regards, the 64-bit version of Firefox was considered a tester's build.

To some, it seemed inevitable that Mozilla would officially release a 64-bit version at some point, but with this latest event, that time looks to be a long way off. With as few users as the 64-bit version must have had, plugin support hasn't been the greatest, and due to various development issues, Smedberg clearly wasn't interested in having an unstable 64-bit version continue.

For those who want a supported 64-bit browser, your options are limited. Windows 7 and 8 ships with a 64-bit Internet Explorer, although that's not likely to be picked up by many. Opera, since 12.00, has shipped a 64-bit edition (click "More options"). Chromium under Linux can also be compiled for a 64-bit architecture.

When 64-bit OSes first hit the scene, the uptake was slow thanks to similar things that Mozilla is mentioning here. Instabilities and incompatible software were common issues. It does seem probable that 64-bit browsers will become more of a need down the road, though, especially if we're expected to live life with our heads in the clouds.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

I think It will be nice to have FireFox 64 bit web browser. If they build one that then i will get one on my Windows 7. There is only 2 of 64 bit browsers are Pale Moon 64 bit and Water Fox64 bit. Both of them are same based on Fire Fox Mozilla technlogy. You can try them out and see if you like best.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:07 PM

"Although, that's not likely to be picked up by many" what on earth are you talking about??? First off IE comes standard on win 7 and 8, a VERY LARGE PERCENTAGE OF COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD use IE, and some very knowledgeable and power users such as myself still ONLY use IE. I hate Firefox, I hate Mozilla, I hate chrome. I still absolutely love using IE and I prefer writing HTML for IE than any other browser on earth.

Not picked up by many my ***.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:11 PM

Maybe that's why HotHardware's mobile website implementation is so crappy? It wasn't designed for IE first and then made to work with other browsers?

This website is HORRID on my iOS devices.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:37 PM

You do realize that this post was discussing 64-bit browsers exclusively, right?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:40 PM

I've seen you claim on multiple occasions that the site works "horrid" on your iPhone, but I don't think you've ever explained why that's the case. The site works fine for me on my Android devices (tablet and phone) using either Chrome or Firefox.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:53 PM

Remember, EVERY site looks 'horrid' on iOS devices. They might work but they look like someone threw up on the teeeeny tiny screen.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:29 PM

I don't mind Web browsing on a tablet, but on a phone... I have to be super-desperate. I just can't stand small screens. Apps come in handy there.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 7:51 PM

Hey sevags, sorry you don't like the mobile version of HH. We're working on a revamp. In the meantime, rather than whining about it in multiple threads, you're welcome not to come back until we polish that up.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I think that the idea of 64 bit is getting kind of old, and I think that it should have been implemented on everything alot faster than it was. I especially hate it when you get something like a dell all-in-one, with a 64-bit processor, and then they stick 32 bit OS on it...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

IE is far behind as far as featurees and compatibility go. Opera is years ahead. Easy choice.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:49 PM

64 bit would be nice, but it'll take time to be an accepted medium.

Linux is fun, you should try it. =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,652
Points 104,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:32 AM

altereDad:
Linux is fun, you should try it

Agreed,............

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:08 AM

I have a feeling the suspension of Nightly releases might actually help development. For those running Nightly you get a new build/version every day pretty much imagine how hard it is to trouble shoot bugs when some people don't update to the latest version? It'll probably come back at some point in the future. Those wanting a 64-bit Firefox can try Waterfox or Palemoon for now I guess.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:04 AM

Could someone tell me what the advantages of a 64bit browser would be? Not playing devil's advocate here, I honestly don't know. I understand when other apps are 64bit, they can better utilize memory and CPU, but my firefox (and IE at work) doesn't feel to be really lacking anything. I assumed the limiting factor was always the ISP's speeds, since browsers aren't that PC-intensive. I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 9:14 PM

Oh gosh... considering I usually have like 30 tabs open... the ability for a browser to use more than 4GB of RAM sounds awesome.

I'm not sure how applicable this is so normal users since that isn't exactly a normal user practice but at least the extended capabilities are there!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS