Ubuntu Powered Samsung A15 Chromebook Shows Impressive Performance

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,435
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:43 AM
With the recent introduction of upgraded and lower priced Chromebooks from Samsung ($249) and Acer ($199), the platform may finally live up to its potential, especially now that netbooks have fallen by the wayside. Some (us included) would argue that these are the price points Chromebooks should have been selling at all along. But what about performance?

A user got his mitts on Samsung's new ARM-based A15 Chromebook, stripped it of Chrome OS, and loaded it up with Ubuntu. In doing so, he essentially unlocked a relative powerhouse in the Linux space. Before we get to some of the benchmarks, let's quickly run down the specs.

Samsung Chromebook

Samsung infused its 11-inch (1366x768) Chromebook with its ARM-based Exynos 5 SoC, which itself sports a 1.7GHz dual-core Cortex-A15 chip and ARM Mali-T604 graphics. Other specs include 2GB of DDR3L system memory, 16GB solid state drive (SSD), 0.3MP webcam, 3W stereo speakers, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, 3-in-1 memory card reader, and various other tidbits. Now, onto the fun stuff.

After the Ubuntu makeover, the user referenced above put the Chromebook through its paces using the Phoronix Test Suite. What happened next is that the Chromebook wiped the floor with the x86 and ARM comparison hardware. It slapped around a quad-core 1.4GHz Calxeda server based on ARM's Cortex A9 architecture and handily outpaced a dual-core Intel Atom D525 system.

Chromebook Benchmarks
Source: Phoronix

Michael Larabel at Phoronix say he intends to run his own set of tests in the near future with "results that contain more extensive data along with power consumption metrics." In the meantime, Samsung's low-priced Chromebook looks awfully impressive.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Now I am actually interested in the thing.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:23 PM

Ubuntu is actually better optimized for some things more than other OS.

Having personally used Ubuntu / Linux for a long period of time, I would prefer it in some situations to Windows.

The only downside is that no great games will play on it, but with Steam coming, Im sure that will clear a path.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 2:24 AM

Thanks, Paul - and, not least, the anonymous user referred to in the article - for this heads-up ! I'm greatly looking forward to seeing that coming Phoronix test and, most importantly, how much this beast will cost when it finally comes to Sweden. Ubuntu on one of these machines could, if conditions are right, be a great solution to my mobile needs !...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
IndianArt replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 5:45 AM

This makes the Chromebook all the more desirable. Only a matter of time when computers with a full OS (Ubuntu Linux) + a full office suite (LibreOffice) + hardware will be less than $100.

The knowledge economy & the knowledge revolution is close at hand! Thank you Linux!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,375
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:28 AM

Good performance for not a lot of cash,.....I like it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 1:13 PM

Now this is something to take with me for productivity sake.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS